potty training and night time

DD's doing great with potty training and is keeping her underwear dry all day, including nights, and asking to go potty when she needs to go... but I'm wondering what to do about nights.She wakes up dry some mornings sleeping 11 hours straight, and some nights she even wakes up and asks to go. Has anyone had the experience of switching to underwear at night before their kids were waking up consistently with a dry pull-up? I'm not sure whether a few accidents will help her stop wetting in the night (or start asking to wake up more consistently), or if it will just be extra clean-up with no benefit. The other reason I'm asking is that with her big sister, we have kept a pull-up on her at night for the past 14 months since she day trained, and she STILL wakes up soaked (heavy sleeper). So I'm not sure whether a more active approach to night training would yield better results? What do you think?

EmilySusan

Asked by EmilySusan at 11:16 AM on Mar. 19, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think you put the pull up on,,, their bladders sometimes don't send the signal to wake up,,DS wore one until he was almost 5, and most of the time he woke up dry,,but sometimes not,,why go through the hassle of the clean-up and possible embarassment for her? Good luck Mom!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:24 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• It happens. Mine was just over 3 when i stopped with the pullups.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I just noticed an error... I meant to say "all day, including NAPS" not nights. Duh.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:31 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• It's not that her sister is a "heavy sleeper" it's that her brain doesn't recognize the signal from the bladder yet. I see no problem leaving them in pullups until they request other wise. My dd said no diaper mom at bedtime one night, I left it off and she was dry from that day on.
    Anonymous

• We're not there yet, but a friend of mine said her daughter would wake up every morning wet in a pull-up, and every morning dry in underwear. I guess it could be worth a try?
    Anonymous

• I have twin 3 year olds and both of them are in underwear day and night. I am lucky we very seldom have any accidents but when they do I just explain accidents happen. Just like daytime potty training you will have a few cleanups during the nights but if you don't get upset they won't either. Best of luck and I personally say go for it and if it isn't time yet try again in a few weeks :-)
    yenko

Answer by yenko at 10:36 PM on Mar. 19, 2010