We need to move my son into a twin bed from his crib....

Any suggestions about hwo to go about the proccess, and anyone have any good bedtime routines, how do i keep him in bed, i know he will get back up. Shoul di take all toys out of his room? if he stays in his room but is playing with toys, should i stop him and put him in bed again, or just leave him? Any and all advice welcome, please be as detailed as possible! I'm getting nervous about this!

NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy

Asked by NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy at 11:17 AM on Mar. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We did the thing where they're allowed 2 toys in bed and can play but can't get up approach.My son took to his bed like a duck to water! I think it was because it was so much more comfortable.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 11:22 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• How old is he? Our experience may not help you, but I'll offer it anyway... Our daughter was 2.5 when she moved, and it was when we moved houses. Her toys were never kept in her room, so that wasn't an issue. Her room was always only a place for sleep. We got a twin and put on one of those guard rails. I thought for sure she would get out, too, because she was physically capable of it... But she didn't. It wasn't until maybe 3 or 4 months later that she first started getting out. She treated it just like a crib. When she did start getting out, we would close the door to her room all the way. She HATED that. She likes it left "a little bit open" (in our new house, her door does not latch shut, which is how the "little bit open" part started in the first place. All we have to do now if she gets out of bed is close the door, and she yells and gets back in bed and then says "i'm back in bed!"
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:23 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I didn't move my son from his crib until he absolutely refused to sleep in it any more at 2.5 years old. I was paranoid, as well, about how I would keep him in bed, but it turned out to be for no reason. He knows where bed is, and when it's bedtime, and he just climbs in bed and stays there and goes to sleep. And when he wakes up in the morning, he gets up and plays instead of yelling and banging on the crib wanting me to get him out, lol. So I don't really have much advice for you like you're asking for, but give it a chance and maybe you won't need it. :) Good luck!
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:24 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• A bedtime routine doesn't have to be elaborate; it just needs to be consistent.  About 30 minutes before bedtime I turn off or dim lights and encourage calmer play, and then I start getting the kids ready for bed. My twins just moved out of their cribs a couple of nights ago, so I have just gone through this. We set up their new beds earlier in the day so they could play on them and get used to them. I moved their familiar blankets and stuffed animals to the new beds and made a big deal about their big kid beds. I put them to bed a little late the first night so they would be really tired. They got up a few times, and we just put them back in, covered them, and walked out. The second night they didn't get up once! I think it helped a lot that I waited until they were 2 1/2 to do this. It was so much easier than I had expected. I hope it goes just as well for you. GL!

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 11:35 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I was going to try and keep my son in the crib until age three, but he started to ask to sleep on the floor (He does go to daycare, where they sleep on mats, so I think that is where it came from) I told him that would be fine if he stayed on his rug, which I figured he wouldn't do. So what happened? He never moved from the rug (Although, I felt bad with him on the floor, so I moved him in to his crib for his nap and told him that night we would get him in the big boy bed (he has a convertable crib that goes to a toddler size bed). Because he was asking to sleep in a big boy bed (long before I was ready! He had just turned 2) I think this helped the transition. He is 2.5 now and still has not gotten out of bed without asking first. He stays in there until morning, when he calls us to his room to get up. I think if your child seems ready, you wont have the problems you think you might have. They can surprise us sometimes! :)
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 1:13 PM on Mar. 19, 2010