do you agree with making your kids eat something even if they don't like it???

I know you should make them at least try new things which I do tell my kids they have to at least try it and that I understand, but I have a friend that tells me I am doing wrong here. Cause if I am making something for dinner and I KNOW that my kids don't like it I make something else for them only if they don't like it do I do that though. My friend told me that I should teach them that even though they don't like something they still have to eat it cause someone else in the house might or does. I wont eat something I don't like so I am not going to force my kids to either. She said one day her 9 year old her kids are (9, 7 and 14 months) she made chinese from a can and he had it in his mouth for 5 minutes before swollowing she said she then shoved it down his throat then made him take a bath and go to bed cause he wouldn't eat it. What are your oppinions on kids eating things they don't like?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Mar. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• A child shouldn't even have to eat a little of something, if it truly bothers them. I can't believe how many comments I am reading where it says a kid has to have at least a little of the food regardless of whether they like it or not.
    wenona_mandy

Answer by wenona_mandy at 1:27 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• shoved it down his throat? Oh dear! That is awful!

I have a "must try one bite" rule and if I know they hate it, I will let them eat something else. As long as they try it, I don't push the issue.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Good Lord! Your friend is abusive! Nice way to teach healthy eating habits!!! No,we try to avoid fights over food at mealtimes. We have him try it at least twice,and then let him choose a healthy alternative.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 11:20 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• No I don't.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I don't agree with that at all. If they don't like it they don't like it. Our taste buds change every 5-10 years and they may grow to like it later. I used to hate tuna casserole as a child , but now I really like it.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 11:21 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I don't think that I have ever made something that they don't really like. If I make something new they have to try a few bites but not eat the whole thing. It takes a couple tries sometimes to like something new. I feel if you force them to eat it then they never will like it. We are a meat, potato, veggie family so if I do make something new I try to make sure that the other two items are something that they definitely like so that no one is hungry.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I make my son take three bites of new foods. Usually the first one, they are not going to give it a fair chance, but by the time they get to that third bite, you can tell if they really don't like it, lol. It also gives them the time to see if they really do like it. After that, I do not force him to eat anything. I would not want someone to force me to eat something that I did not like, so I refuse to do that to him!
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 11:22 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I make mine eat at least two bites. He hated all veggies and one day when he was about 5, I had enough. I made him eat at least 4 bites or spinach, the next day it was broccoli, then, okra..I did this for a week. Then, I gave him a choice, eat what veggies we eat, or I will make some frozen mixed veggies as his side. He went for those. Now, at 14. He will eat just about any food you put in front of him. All because I had him at least try a few bites. Not forcing the way your friend does though. my mom did that crap to me...I hated it. I HAD to finish a plate of food whether I liked it or not. Not 2 bites. A whole plate, meat, 2 veggies.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:23 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Oh and I think it's horrible what your friend did. you know yourself as an adult there are things you don't like and don't eat. Same for kids. I still want to puke at the thought of my Mom's meat loaf or a nasty salbury steak. So I do not force my kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• It depends if they really don't like certain foods ok. However if they don't like all veggies then no they have to eat it. I know a kid who wouldn't eat any thing but chips, cookies, and ice cream. He hated every thing else. I wont allow any thing like that. My oldest doesn't like peas, red sauce or salsa I'm perfectly fine with that. So it all depends as to whether it's just a couple things or a lot of things. If they hate every thing they probably don't really hate it.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 11:27 AM on Mar. 19, 2010