Why do we regret slavery but not the "Trail of Tears?"

It seems like everyone has forgotten about what happened to the Indians. We actually tried to welcome people and all they did was cause war.

annamcg18

Asked by annamcg18 at 11:39 AM on Mar. 19, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I think we worry to much about what our ancestors did in the past and not enough trying to fix the problems of today!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:43 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Something I frequently wonder... But then I look around at those DEMANDING reparation for something they never actually experienced, and it does not surprise me.

Unfortunately, my DD lives with the bigotry that has been imparted to her peers by their parents, apparently it is not PC to say Negro anymore, but its still acceptable to call a child a Dirty Injun.
    I'm so sick of hearing the race debate, and watching fuc*ing genocide go completely unnoticed.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:44 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Shame is a big reason. Its why history texts gloss it over.I guess denial is a reason too.....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I wonder that all the time. I taught my children about the Trail of Tears bc they didn't learn it in school!!!! How's that possible? They spend weeks in school talking about the holocaust of other cultures in OTHER COUNTRIES but no time on the one here. That's just wrong. There are even museums here in the U.S. for atrocities done IN OTHER COUNTRIES but nothing here for the Trail of Tears except a map if you want to drive the trail. Sad

Anonymous

• I wonder too. I am mostly Cherokee, Seminol and Chickasaw Indian....Do I lash out at others because my ansestors were treated that way. NO. Do, I demand payment, NO. I don't get it. Most everyone knows about slavery..even little kids. Not many even know about Trail of Tears.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:47 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Great another question that makes it seem like black people need to get over slavery and we always play the race card and we have it so easy blah blah blah..and i know you didnt say anything i just stated..but you know what kind of responses your going to get

by the way I know just as much about the trail of tears as i od about slavery and i think they're both wrong..and my daughter will know too
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 11:52 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I think it's because indians also killed thousands of early americans.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 12:01 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• the indians are the americans! they were here first! hello !
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 12:06 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Relax honey..... I am not saying it's right for intruders from another country to come in and claim this one for their own. That is either here nor there. It happened. Nothing changes that. But when they got here it wasn't just open arms and welcome. They were slaughtered. And they fought back and slaughtered Indians. Many wars followed. It went both ways. The Indians even hired the french to come help them slaughter early Americans. 

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 12:14 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Good question. Likely embarassment over taking the country away from the people who were already here, very nearly wiping them out. Very sad chapter in this country's history.

I think it's odd that some races are worthy of respect and decent treatment but not others. I see it quite a bit. Why it's okay to dehumanize Indians and make them into ridicuolous stereotypes when it would never happen with other races is something I'll never understand.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 12:18 PM on Mar. 19, 2010