Do you wish your kids had your childhood?

When I was growing up, we didn't have cell phones or anything like that. We were the only house on the entire block that had internet and it was so slow! Plus, it was hooked to the phone line so you couldn't use it unless it was after 10 where no one should be calling. We got home from school and went straight outside and stayed outside until it was dark and our moms yelled down the street. During the summer, we all woke up early and spent nearly every hour of the day playing in the sprinkler, swimming, or riding bikes. I dont trust as easily as my parents did and my kids aren't allowed past a few houses down, they can't play in the roads or anything. I just wish my kids had the same experiences that me and my brothers had. Do you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Mar. 19, 2010 in Just for Fun

• My son does have that upbringin...he does have a pre-paid phone. But, he is always outside roaming like I used to.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:44 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• yes I wish they were able to experience the wonderful childhood I had. we had fun without all the material nonsense. we were out playing and having a great time in a safe environment. no tv in the daytime. no sitting around the house eating. it was great fun.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Some of the old ways yes, but my personal experiences God no. We have moved to a small town and it is much like that. So much here we do not have to worry about like in the big city. Most days we leave the house and do not lock the door and are gone for hours at a time. It is great.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• When you put it that way, yes. I know I will never feel comfortable allowing my son to go running off by himself.
    mama2conor

Answer by mama2conor at 11:58 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• My husband just said the other day, "to bad my generation was the last that could go out and play all day without having to worry". He is right it's just not the same. In our city I can not let my daughter go out in the yard alone. And even when you go to a public park or playground chances are your day will be ruined by some kind of drug/violence or gang activity. The schools have drills where a siren goes off and they have to cower under a table and lock the classroom door as if a shooter is in the building. We just had tornado and fire drills. It is sad that things have come to this.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 11:58 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I wish i could let my son just run around, i mean hell i don't even feel comfortable when he is in a cart at a store to turn around for even a second because i think someone will snatch him, its horrible. that part of my childhood was great, i wish he could have it too.
    LogansMama09

Answer by LogansMama09 at 12:16 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I grew up on a farm with lots of family around. Now I live in the city far away from any family, so I wish my daughter had that part.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 12:24 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• My kids basically do. They are outside all the time running up and down the street, riding bikes and swimming in the summer.
    I just wish I felt more comfortable letting them wander farther. My oldest is almost 10 and should be able to walk the 2 1/2 blocks to the market to get stuff but I can't trust her (for one thing) and I don't trust the other nosy neighbors thinking she is too young to be out and about (doesn't help that she's small for her age and looks like she is 7).
    But in the summer they get up, have breakfast and are out the door by 10am and don't come back until around 1pm for lunch and then are right back outside until dinner and they are back out until after dark. It's great.
    They are 9 1/2, 8 1/2, 7 and almost 4 (in a couple weeks).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:46 PM on Mar. 19, 2010