My son had surgery on his neck, it is almost healed and I want to start using something on it that will minimize the scar! What do you think is best?

We are going to the Dr today so I will ask him this too, but wondered if you guys had personal stories of something that you saw work!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Mar. 19, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I'd wait for the dr.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• WHen my son had stitches on his eyebrow,one of the nurses told me to use Vitamin E pills. They come in capsules, open it up or poke a hole in it and squeeze it out onto the scar, it doesnt completly take the scar away but it did help in minimizing it.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:06 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• After my daughters stitches were removed from her face (and there were alot of them) the doctor told us to use vitamin E, I would poke a whole in the pill and squeeze the oil on her face and massage it in, also SUNSCREEN sun will actually make a scar worse so use sunscreen on it even in the winter, with my daughter i was able to get ahold of a bottle of 80 it was spendy but well worth it and the scars are minimal they are there and i can see them but most people cant tell i have to point it out. RIght now it looks like she has a spot of dirt or a shawdow where the scars are. They are getting smaller and she no longer has the lumpy scar tissue under the skin.

We also use maderma but i never get it on her as much as you need to, my mom uses it several times a day and has reduced her scars.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:06 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I used to apply it twice a day.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:07 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Vitamin E oil. Works WONDERS.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 2:22 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• The old remedy used to be just plain cocoa butter. Always worked for me.
    Carol318

Answer by Carol318 at 1:38 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• We used mederma on my son's scar. It helped some... (probably would've helped more if I could remember to do it more often! lol)... That's what his pediatrician reccomended
    Elyssa414

Answer by Elyssa414 at 12:55 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Vitamin E oil. I had surgery on my neck when I was in 5th grade due to a cyst, and I used vitamin E oil and now you can hardly tell its there.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 3:44 PM on Sep. 15, 2010