My 6 month old wakes up every hour during the night!!

This problem isn't due to caffeine, and I give her a bath before bed. I've been giving her Hylands Teething Tablets to her her with her teething. What can be possible causes? I'm reaching the end of my rope with the lack of sleep. Help please!

christinelee41

Asked by christinelee41 at 12:09 PM on Mar. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• the teething tabs only work for like 15-20 mins or so, they wear off quickly...could be teething, seperation anxiety...babies at that age have started to master new skills and a lot of times it disrupts their sleep (they'd rather be sitting up, playing, etc...). My dd stopped sleeping through the night around 5 months and she's now almost 10 months and she still doesn't sleep well. Odds are you will never know for sure what's waking her up, so your choices are to wait it out or attempt to sleep train....I am a SAHM so although I am dying for a good night of sleep I've decided not to try any of the sleep training methods and just comfort her when she wakes up. Some would say that I am somehow harming her by not "teaching her to self sooth" but this is what makes us both happy, so I'm going with it....I know how hard it is to function on very little sleep - stay strong! The baby stage goes so fast - try to enjoy it! :)
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 12:20 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• give her baby food half hour before bedtime then a bottle before bed.. also try waking her though out the day making her naps shorter..as for her teeth maybe some infant tylenol half hour before bed if she is in pain.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 12:26 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I usually don't speak up, and I don't mean to offend the above poster, but I disagree - DO NOT wake your baby up from it's nap!! This will not make her more tired at night, it will just mean that she will become over-tired and have an even harder time sleeping. If your child is sleeping well during the day, let her sleep! Babies need a lot of sleep, if she's not getting it at night let her get it during the day. I'm not an expert and this is just my opinion....waking a child/shortening nap time might work with an older child but not a 6 month old.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 12:29 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• you just have to wait it out, my daughter didn't sleep more than 2 hours at at time until she was over a year old, it is just part of the job.
    awelling

Answer by awelling at 12:43 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I totally agree with awelling (above)
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 12:44 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• 6 months is also a MAJOR growth spurt. Expect a lot of wakings and seemingly insatiable hunger.All that on top of teething (if that is the case). Also if a baby has learned a new milestone/trick lately THAT will also cause wakings. Do NOT wake a baby during the day, that is just asking for trouble.

It's part of the job. We cosleep in our house so I get far more sleep that most, but still I have to wake to night parent too. For the past three nights my baby has been eating every 1 to 2 hours. It's all normal. It will pass. Try to get as much sleep as you can when the baby is sleeping, that will help.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:11 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Growth spurt time. She's quite normal. And will change her schedule several times more this year.

Goes with the territory. Teeny tiny print in the mommy contract says you'll never get eight hours again. **grin**

Answer by gdiamante at 2:52 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I always woke my kids up at least every 3 hours to eat during the day, to make sure they were getting their calories in during the day. At 6 weeks I started shortening nighttime feedings, so they ate more during the day since they weren't getting nourishment at night, which meant there was less need for them wake up at night. All 4 of mine started sleeping at least 8 hours by 2 months, and still do. (My 16 month old has woken up in the night and cried for me a total of 4 times in the last 14 months - when he was sick)

Answer by missanc at 3:03 PM on Mar. 19, 2010