college

I unfortunately never made it to college. So I'm not really sure on where to start, or what to do now to start saving for my kids education. I have three. I know once we get on our feet I want to open savings for each, but not sure of a typical goal for these. Any input?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:30 PM on Mar. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• My daughter went to a small state college and four years ran about 45,000 plus books etc. She did not stay there since we live close. Private colleges are much more expensive.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 12:38 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• It depends on where you want your child to go to school, and where you live. I live in NC, we have incredibly universities and it's fairly cheap for instate tuition. There are websites that estimate what college expenses will be in certain years. I have always found these to be very high in comparison to what we pay here, but it would at least give you an idea. Any amount will certainly help them, but if you don't plan on being able to pay for their college completely don't put the plan in their name or it will count against them if they end up applying for FAFSA to make up any of the difference.

Answer by missanc at 12:48 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I say go to school!! I started school when my son was 1 and finished when he was 7. It was hard and you'll need alot of family or friend support, but you can do it!!! Look into FASFA loans, and look for other grants that you can apply for that you don't have to pay back. I started at a small community college and took classes that would transfer to the private college I was interested in going to. Talk to the admissions office at your some of your local colleges and see what they suggest!
    Anonymous

• Start with a community college. The credits will easily transfer to a university; classes will be relatively inexpensive and some may be online.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:11 PM on Mar. 19, 2010