HEARTBURN FROM HELL...HELP!

I'm 8wks and for the past couple of days I've had heartburn ALL day accompanied by nausea. I've always had stomach problems (severe IBS) so I know that I need to eat smaller bland meals and sleep upright but it doesn't seem to make it go away. Any suggestions? Will it get better after my first trimester?

mire621

Asked by mire621 at 12:31 PM on Mar. 19, 2010 in Pregnancy

• fruit gum is an instant cure for heartburn. i'm pregnant too and have had the most wicked heart burn. chewing fruit gums relieves it in seconds
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 12:34 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Tums or Rolaids. If you don't have any, have a bicarbonate of soda (baking soda- about a teaspoon).
    Anonymous

• I also had terrible heartburn while pregnant. You can take Tums, they help. I also learned to avoid certain foods. Tomatoes especially. Anything with tomatoes, tomato sauce too. Good luck, go buy a big package of Tums.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:34 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I had heartburn CHRONICALLY when I was pregnant with my son.
    My best friends were the following items:
    Rolaids (The biggest bottle u can find, keep them on your nightstand!buy another one to keep in your car,one in your purse too!)
    Milk
    Icecream
    Milkshakes
    Hope some of this helps put out the fire!!!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:34 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Tums!!! You can take up to 4 at a time if you need to but look at the directions as to how many in a day. And as far as it getting better, I noticed one of the above posters said it will get better and that is so not true unless your one of the odd balls lol. The bigger your baby gets the more he/she pushes up in your stomach causing less room for your stomach, lungs everything. So it will get worse befor it gets better gurenteed so keep those tums close by and drink lots of milk. I have it so bad right now and its just gotten worse but Im also 35 weeks along. I used to just have it at night but now its during the day too.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 12:47 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• You can have Tums and maximum strength Zantac. These to meds were enough for me with my first two pregnancy, but even max Zantac wasn't enough for me with my third. My dr wrote me a prescription for Protonix...I wouldn't have survived without it. Even sleeping propped up on pillows, the acid reflux would come up and make me vomit in my sleep.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 12:55 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I'm 23 weeks and had heartburn so bad with my last pregnancy and with this one that it would cause me to throw up at least several times/week. The dr tried me on 4 different meds, eventually landed on nexium which cuts down the throwing up to only like twice/week. It's the one thing that makes me pregnancies miserable! Try the Tums first and see if that helps, also any type of milk will help calm the acid in your tummy since it's a base - I drink a glass every night (or have a pudding cup) before bed to head off the nighttime heartburn. If it doesn't get better, talk to your OB. Good luck!

Answer by missanc at 1:12 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Papaya enzyme! Be sure to get one without pineapple

Answer by rkoloms at 2:12 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• NO!!!! it gets worst go to the store and get baking soda mix it with water and drink you will burp out the fire. lol
    miasmom2008

Answer by miasmom2008 at 5:26 PM on Mar. 19, 2010