When do babies have more control of keeping passifyers in their mouths?

My 7 week old wants to suck on her passifyer so badly but keeps spitting it out- then crys for it - so it goes like this- suck, suck, spit, cry, suck,suck, spit cry- when do babys start having more control of that or get the fine motor ability to put it back by themselves

mommy2mac

Asked by mommy2mac at 12:36 PM on Mar. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• pacifiers are not a good idea unless you absolutely need to use it
    Anonymous

• PACIFIER.

And get used to it. You've probably got a few more months of that.
    Anonymous

• I think it take a few months but in the mean time buy one of those clip on things so that her pacis not getting all nasty from falling on the ground but make sure its a safe distance from her face you dont want it getting wrapped around her neck. I clip it on down under there ribcage to be safe and that way when they spit it out you dont have to worry about washing it off every time.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 12:43 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• She might need a different kind. I had Nuk originally, but, my son couldn't suck it. It would fly acroos the room.LOL I got him a MAM and he sucked it just fine, although, he would occasionally drop it out.

ANON: some kids have a non-nutritive sucking need until at least 18 months old and some for longer. My son did.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:47 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Mine did that all the time. Soothie was ok nuk stayed in the best. Mine were never that into pacifiers.
    Anonymous

• If you are breastfeeding, you might consider ditching the pacifier unless absolutely necessary. A lot of BF babies will refuse them because they aren't shaped right and/or don't deliver any food. Some babies never take to pacifiers regardless of if they BF or not.

Babies do not have good enough coordination control to take over putting things in their mouth until around 5 months old (give or take a few weeks). If you do use pacifier be aware that once teeth come in it is a bad idea for them to use it too much so try to avoid using one even now unless she has a very strong need to suck and you are bottle feeding.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:08 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• My youngest never had a problem keeping it in his mouth - we used a Soothie. My 3rd would never keep the paci in and ended up being a non paci child - she just never used one.

Answer by missanc at 1:21 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• It's not a lack of control you're seeing...she doesn't WANT it. **grin** They can control the pacifier pretty much from birth...and she IS controlling it by spitting it out. Her way of saying, "Nuts to that, Mom!" I think she wants the bottle or the breast and is feeling a bit gypped.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:56 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I thought I had answered this question already but I guess not. Anyway, I agree with gdiamante. When my daughter did that she was hungry.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 5:19 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Maybe she doesn't want it?
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 5:31 PM on Mar. 19, 2010