Large Outdoor Trampoline?

We have a large trampoline in our yard with the netting enclosure surrounding it , my question is; do you think it would be okay to make parents of friends and neighborhood children sign a paper saying we are not liable if their child gets hurt while playing on it? My hubby does not want to let any kids besides ours on it so we don't get sued, but I think if its a play at your own risk situation then my girls should be able to have friends play on it..What do you think?

kjfamily

Asked by kjfamily at 12:42 PM on Mar. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think your hubby has the right idea, they can be dangerous, I don't agree with the first anon, it will do good!

Answer by older at 12:48 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• wouldn't do you any good. You ARE responsible
    Anonymous

• We have the same thing in our backyard. I let their friends play on it, and yes they could get hurt but that's what our homeowner's insurance is for. I truly don't think any of their friends parents would sue us for an accident anyway, and if a friend is very new I always make sure to ask the parents before the playdate if they mind them playing on it but I don't make them sign a paper or anything. In order for it to be legal, I imagine it would have to be notarized anyway - and what kind of hassle would THAT be?!? I just don't think it's a big deal.

Answer by missanc at 12:45 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• we use to have one but had to take it down because we couldnt get home owners insurence with it. so just be carefull. you are liable if someone gets hurt. same as a pool here in my town
    gfam6

Answer by gfam6 at 12:47 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I have a fence around mine but I just take my chances. My neighbors come use it but theri parents have given them permission. I guess it is what homeonwners insurance is for...
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:57 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• We had a trampoline, I wouldn't let ANYONE on it except my children. Talk to an attorney and see if it would do good to have a waiver. Parents will still try to sue you especially if their insurance doesn't pay for injuries occuring on a trampoline. I know Medicaid in GA doesn't pay for injuries on playgrounds, cars or trampolines.
    Anonymous

• I don't think just signing a peice of paper would absolve you of liability. You might want to check if that's legally binding or not before you bother implementing it. The reason I say that is I can't imagine if it was a pool and you had someone sign and their child was injured or drowned that it would absolve you...kwim? I'd imagine it'd be similar, legally speaking.
    Anonymous

• You would still be responsible unless (I think ) you and that person went to a notary and got it notarized with both of you there and that is way too much of a hassel. I would make sure you have home owners insurance or renters insurance that will cover injury to another person.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:00 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I only allow our children on it. we keep it zipped and buckled and it's in our fenced in back yard.
    Anonymous

• You should check with your home owners insurance and with the police and see what the laws are regarding trampolines. I am not sure if a piece of signed paper would be good enough or considered a legal and binding agreement.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:18 PM on Mar. 19, 2010