how do you help a teenager that has been brainwashed by one parent to hate the other parent and dislike the entire side of the family?

is it too late? can you do it without counseling? I know he would refuse to go to counseling. He totally idolizes one parent because they have brainwashed him over the years to hate the other. How do you fix this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:01 PM on Mar. 19, 2010 in Relationships

• We had this happen when my son's gf ran off with their two kids years ago. We found them 15 yrs later and they hated us. I simply told them both let's start over and judge me yourself on what you see and experience with me. So far it's worked and they have turned out hating the other side of the family for cheating them out of getting to know us. There is also a law against it so if you think it's being done have the offending parent sued for Parental Alienation. For more information: http://www.paskids.com/

Answer by admckenzie at 2:48 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Unless both parents have been involved in his life up until now, it really may be too late.
    Anonymous

• i often find the parent that bad mouths the other, is usually found out later...then the child feels betrayed and sees the truth for what it is. all situations are different though.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 1:19 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I agree with happy2bemom25. If I were in this situation, I would never get mad at my child but instead lead by example. Your actions will speak louder than words. GL.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 2:29 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• admckenzie, you can sue even if they arent minors anymore?
    Anonymous