WHY do people COVER this abuse up?

PORTLAND, Ore. – The Boy Scouts of America has long kept an extensive archive of secret documents that chronicle the sexual abuse of young boys by Scout leaders over the years.

The "perversion files," a nickname the Boy Scouts are said to have used for the documents, have rarely been seen by the public, but that could all change in the coming weeks in an Oregon courtroom.

The lawyer for a man who was molested in the 1980s by a Scout leader has obtained about 1,000 Boy Scouts sex files and is expected to release some of them at a trial that began Wednesday. The lawyer says the files show how the Boy Scouts have covered up abuse for decades.

The trial is significant because the files could offer a rare window into how the Boy Scouts have responded to sex abuse by Scout leaders. The only other time the documents are believed to have been presented at a trial was in the 1980s in Virginia.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 1:05 PM on Mar. 19, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 1:05 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• So they can continue doing it!

Answer by older at 1:07 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• oh man my son is soo not joining boy scouts now!
    joycegina

Answer by joycegina at 1:08 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• How disgusting. I've never been able to understand this. I don't care what organization it was, be it boy scouts, church, mother theresa fan club, whatever - I would NEVER cover something like that up for the sake of said organization.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 1:12 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• So they don't look bad. Especially when they don't allow gay people or non-Christians, because they see them as inferior. It's hard to look superior when you're diddling little boys.
    Anonymous

• i think im glad our scout leader is a woman
    Anonymous

• Between the 1000 files from the Boy Scouts, and the 1000's of Church cases, you might think this is a country of perverts! In the article above, they state that they contacted 17 boys who were supposed to have been abused by an asst scoutmaster. They all denied the abuse, even though the man confessed. What do you do then, if the supposed victims deny that anything happened? This is a very complicated issue. While I detest any form of sexual abuse, especially of children, it is so easy to make these claims years later. I think a better thing to do is to teach our children to NOT HIDE THE ABUSE IF IT IS HAPPENING TO THEM. And I mean, really teach them what to do about it. We all teach about good touch vs bad touch to our preschoolers, but by the time they are tweens, we seem to think they know all this and don't address it.

I am withholding any judgment on this situation at this time. But the whole issue needs attn.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 1:40 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• 29again made an interesting point. But HOW do we teach our children to not cover it up? To begin with, when a child is abused, they get special attention, some children might need this as they don't get it at home, and are afraid they will lose it if they tell. Some children are threatened with their lives and the lives of others. How do we teach children that they have to tell, and they will be safer and better if they do? Should they have special education on this subject by a therapist? I'm not being sarcastic, just trying to figure it all out.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 1:51 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Yet they discriminate against gay people, how ironic... I guess homosexuality is a no-no, but pedophilia is okay. Go figure.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 1:57 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• 29again made an interesting point. But HOW do we teach our children to not cover it up?

Good question. I know that I covered for my childhood molestor because he was a family member, and I was terrified that if I made it known, I would be hated for causing problems within the family. Also, he was a "favorite" of everyone, and I was scared that I wouldn't be believed. When I was raped by the same man at age 17, my boyfriend at the time gave me two options "you tell or I will" - which was what I needed to finally come clean. I realize now that my fears were unfounded. I'm going to make SURE that my daughter knows she will NEVER be blamed for something like that, and that she can ALWAYS tell me without ANY fear of recourse.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 2:03 PM on Mar. 19, 2010