How can I bond with this 1 year old dog?

I got a yorktese 1/2 yorkie 1/2 maltese yesterday and he just walks around all day and looks so sad and whines. I am wondering if he misses his previous owner. She was an elderly lady and I also am wondering if his behavior is appropriate or if there is something wrong with him. He doesn't play. He just walks around looking lost. I want to help him but he doesn't want any I guess. I am going to have him groomed monday and maybe he will feel a little better. I am also going to have him checked out asap to see if there is anything wrong with him or if he is just home sick. Please help. I feel bad for the lil guy.

nakoal87

Asked by nakoal87 at 1:05 PM on Mar. 19, 2010 in Pets

• It's only been a day... I'm SURE he misses his previous owner. It's always good to get a new pet checked out to make sure it's healthy, but if he's fine physically, just give it some time. Lots of attention, lots of walks, and he'll bond with you in no time!
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 1:17 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Since you just got the dog yesterday you must give him time to adjust. Getting him to a vet ASAP is an absolute must! You said that the previous owner was an elderly lady...did she pass away or have to give him up for other reasons? If she passed away the dog very well could be experiencing grief. I took my aunt's dog after she died and the dog was at home with her when it happened. It took him quite a while to begin to feel comfortable around people.
    Whether she died or just had to give him up, he is feeling abandonment. It takes lots of love and attention so that he feels safe again. I would get him to a vet before getting him groomed. I would make sure he feels at home in your house...his own space for eating, sleeping, etc. Once he realizes that this is his new home and that you are not leaving him (forever), then he will begin to relax.
    Merjo

Answer by Merjo at 1:20 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• OP here: She had 2 knee replacements and wasn't physically able to take care of him anymore.
    nakoal87

Answer by nakoal87 at 1:30 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• You just got him so he is probably scared and looking for his owner. This is very common. Some dogs can take longer then others to adjust but just giv ehim time and he will bond with you.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 2:20 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Some dogs might take a day or two to adjust and bond with you others can take up to 6 months to fully adjust.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 3:52 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Yep. he's just going to take some time adjusting to his new home and new people :)
    Offer him plenty of love and treats, even if he doesn't accept them. Try to keep the house free of loud noises or sudden change (like moving furniture) while he's adjusting. Let him warm up to on his own terms, and don't try to force it.
    I honestly would wait on the grooming, unless you're taking him to somewhere he's been before. If he has never been groomed, or you're taking him to a new place, it might just add unnecessary stress. Taking him to a groomer he's been to before might be good for him though, seeing a familiar face.
    StellarJKD

Answer by StellarJKD at 5:27 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I have some thoughts for you to consider:
    1) find a shirt or a towel that smells like you and let him use that has his 'new' bed, then he will rest with your scent and that will help him bond to you
    2) give him time, try walks, cuddles, brushing, different treats until you find something that gets his attention
    3) he is missing his old mistress, and the routine they had...if you are able ask her what some of his favorite things were when he was with her, might help
    4) after a vet check and a grooming, just spend some time giving him lots of TLC, he's sad and lonely and needs your love
    Good luck and tail wags!
    mystic-mom

Answer by mystic-mom at 10:16 PM on Mar. 22, 2010