Sh*t! How the h&*@ do I respond?

My husband and I aren't in the habit of cursing, even before we had kids we didn't really. Sure the OCCASIONAL four letter word has been uttered. We're super-conscious around our kids, though. I have one single memory of my husband using "dammit" in front of my daughter, and it was while we decorated our Christmas tree. Well, my almost- three year old just said in perfect, plain English, "Dammit, I made a mess." Amazingly, my husband and I looked at our plates and managed not to laugh. I do realize it's not actually funny... we informed her that that is not a word we say... but I didn't want to draw extra attention to it, either. How would you handle that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:10 PM on Mar. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• the exact way you did.
    brandnew744

Answer by brandnew744 at 1:11 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Well, I cut my hand and said F**K. My two year old said it and kept saying it like doing a little dance and saying it anyways. I said to him "mommy said a bad word im sorry please dont say it" hes said it one more time said ok and thats the end of that.
    I think whenever something like this happens you should address it once and if that doesnt work then you should ignore it.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 1:13 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• you did great! good job! :)
    gonzalez3

Answer by gonzalez3 at 1:26 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• You apologize to your child for speaking that way, and tell them it was wrong. It lets them know you are human and make mistakes, but that we fix our mistakes and try to do better next time. It is a a great way to show your children how a true adult acts when we mess up! We admit it and fix it...we don't blame others and we don't sulk!! A great teachable moment!!
    singnstitch

Answer by singnstitch at 1:33 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• what you did. but also warn her about what her punishment will be if you ever hear it again.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 1:38 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• It is hard not to laugh when a child says a four letter word. No, you don't want to encourage it by laughing, but it is cute in a way when they utter those words. However, I think you went about it the right way by telling her "That isn't an appropriate word" and leaving it at that. If you draw extra attention to it she's going to find it amusing and use it again. Whether it be negative or positive attention. Let her know that even you shouldn't use curse words then let it go. Only reprimand her when she says it, but don't drag it out like she killed the cat.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:42 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I'd have done exactly what you did, but I would also have mentioned, "If I hear you say it again, this is what will happen." My two boys said "holy sh*t" one day while we were in the pool. I had to go underwater to keep from laughing. But then I told them that that was not an appropriate thing for them to say and that if I heard it again, they would both be grounded to their rooms for a day. I still, to this day, have not figured out where the heck they came up with it. I have to think my oldest heard someone at school say it, b/c we are very careful not to use that kind of language around the kids. You did fine.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 2:30 PM on Mar. 19, 2010