Have you used this form of discipline?

My DD is almost 3 & she is a biter. Nothing I am doing is working. Some of my friends have suggested that I just bite her back & she will stop after a couple times since she will know what its like to get bit. Have you done this with your biters?

stressedmomma13

Asked by stressedmomma13 at 1:24 PM on Mar. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• No, I have not bit my biter. I pull her to the side, hold her arms down by her sides, and look her straight in the eye: "We do NOT bite." Now I can see her going for the bite (when her sister takes something away), and from across the room, I can say, "do not bite" and she stops herself.
    Anonymous

• It doesnt work.
    Anonymous

• Biting her won't work... It'll just reinforce in her mind that it's an acceptable thing to do. I do the same thing anon :26 does, and so far, it's been working.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 1:30 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I swatted my child's bottom when they bit someone, and not just a mild swat...but one with a switch. Twice is usually all you need! You tell her, "NO! We do NOT bite!" and give her a switch across the bottom. It stings like crazy and she will do a little dance, but she will remember it and not bite more than a few more times if you are consistent about the switch!
    singnstitch

Answer by singnstitch at 1:30 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• all babies are diffrent i think if she knew what it felt like she would stop! my kids were not biters but my friends baby was and she use to bite everyone!!!! so one day she was playing with my cell phone so i put it up so she wouldnt play with it and she bit me i told her firmly you dont bite! do not bite me later on she had batteries and i didnt want her to swallow the batteries so i took it away from her and she got mad and bit me again and she can bite! so i bit her back (not as hard as she did me) and she felt it didnt like it and stopped! she didnt even cry!!!!!!! so i think with some kids it works! good luck:)
    gonzalez3

Answer by gonzalez3 at 1:31 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I bit my daughter once, she never bit me again, it might not work on all kids but some it does
    Anonymous

• I never had a biter but I have known people who did including my MIL many of them have tried it and it has worked, I only know of my nephew who it didnt work on but he is a bit high strung and doesnt noramlly get the point your trying to make.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:43 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Depends on the child I guess
    Anonymous

• My son (now in his 30's) bit me ONCE. I bit him right back...he never did it again.
    companygoddess

Answer by companygoddess at 2:34 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• What works for one child, does NOT work for another. I got bit back once, and that cured me from biting. But like I said, one size does NOT fit all for kids
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 2:42 PM on Mar. 19, 2010