Will you live in your town for the next 10 years?

Hubby and I are torn about whether or not to stay in our current town. We moved here to be close to his family. We both have great jobs, our daughter is in an excellent daycare and will be able to attend the private school where my husband works. Housing is cheap, living is cheap, but we just aren't that fond of the city itself. It's not urban enough for us, but I doubt we could afford to live in San Francisco or New York anyway! We are struggling with whether or not to stay here and buy a house. How do you know when to just accept your circumstances and realize that not every town is perfect? I think I just have wanderlust for no reason! I refuse to buy a house unless I know we'll be staying.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:45 PM on Mar. 19, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Home is where the heart is. In today's troubling times I would suggest staying put. You seem to have what everyone wants: good jobs, good schools, cheaper living. If you are really missing the urban life, then go on vacations to such places.
    Merjo

Answer by Merjo at 1:47 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• You have to weight the pros and cons of where you live now, and where you might plan to move to. I know that I will always live here (Raleigh, NC) because both my parents and inlaws are here, good schools, reasonable cost of living, and lots of job opportunities. My husband and I both grew up here, so although it's a little too urban for us we just live in the suburbs and try to avoid the traffic!

Answer by missanc at 1:48 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I have lived in mine for over 50 years. I don't blame you for waiting, but now is a good time to buy!

Answer by older at 1:48 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Since we're in the process of building our house - I'm going to have to go with yes.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 1:50 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I love Chicago and can't imagine living anywhere else

Answer by rkoloms at 1:51 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Ditto Older, now is a great time to buy.... if you don't have any plans to move in the next 5 years, I think it would make sense to buy. We love our town because we have kids, great schools, great community, we live in a nice quiet neighborhood.... but if DH and I were alone, I could see us in a cabin the woods, that is not what's best for our kids though, so we are doing the community/neighbor thing to raise our kids and hope to retire someday to what we want. So, I'm thinking you should consider what is best for all, and to me that sounds like staying put for a few years.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:52 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Nope, we are not going to be here more than a year.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 1:55 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• HE!! NO! We have all the downtown people moving here. We are moving within the next 5 months
    Anonymous

• Most of the time the grass only looks greener. It sounds like you have a good situation and are just having a case of cold feet when it comes to buying a house and completely committing. It is nice to think about other possibilities, but in reality it's hard to move and start over. Maybe it's time to start discussing this with your husband - make some lists of pros and cons, take some weekend trips to places you might like to live, ask yourselves if you are adventurous enough to leave a stable situation for one that might end up being more satisfying, decide if you want to start planning for a move or planning to purchase a home.

When I was young I thought I wanted something different, and I lived in several different places. I ended up close to where I grew up, and I expect I'll be here at least until my kids are in college. Maybe we'll want to sell our house and find a cozy retirement place then.
    Anonymous

• I hope not. I hate it here.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 2:34 PM on Mar. 19, 2010