Do kids these days still go door-to-door selling stuff?

I was in band as a kid and went door-to-door selling every conceivable thing for fundraising (walk-a-thons, chocolate bars, etc.). Do kids nowadays do that? I have never had it happen to me!

danielp

Asked by danielp at 1:49 PM on Mar. 19, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I wouldn't let my kids, I don't think it is safe at all. Even if a parent is with, I think it sends the message that talking to strangers is okay,
    awelling

Answer by awelling at 1:50 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I did not think they did, but since moving to my new home I have had every child in the small neighborhood trying to sell me stuff. I feel badly that I cannot support their activities, but times are tough. I know when my daughter was in chorus they were expected to sell stuff, but the schools advised the children NOT to go door-to-door, but rather to have friends and family help them find prospective buyers.
    Merjo

Answer by Merjo at 1:51 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I have highschoolers come and knock on my door once in a while but I am a little careful about opening the door these days!
    Most of the fund raisers today are done through parents and friends.

Answer by older at 1:51 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• No. They don't do it anymore. It is printed on the selling forms.
    You could go to neighbors you know, but that's it. My kids have to sell things.
    I personally buy them, and I sell some things at work, and that's it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:55 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Yep. We bought Girl Scout cookies from girls that came to our door just a month or so ago.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 2:26 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• No - my kids school doesn't allow door to door selling. But I have had kids from some other schools come here. And many kids post a notice through our neighborhood email list if they are selling something for school - in case anyone is interested.

Answer by missanc at 2:36 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• NOOOOOO! Never let your kids go door to door! You have no idea what kind of crazies are living there, even in your own neighborhood! I ask my family and co-workers for donations when it's time.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 2:46 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• my kids only go to the neighbors they know but other than that my hubby takes it to work
    Anonymous

• Yes. We do that with Girl Scout cookies. We've also had a number of kids coming around selling other things for various fund raisers. Some look sketchy though, so I usually pass.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 2:59 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• My kids dont participate in those fund raisers at all anyway. I remember having to go door to door to do that. I hated it. I never sold much of anything & then the kids that did always got neat prizes & I got nothing.
    Anonymous