will i loose weight this way?? please help!

I just started monday at a gym I love! But I've never been. Im going with a friend who once went but she is just as much out of shape as me. I am OVERWEIGHT so the lady said to start slow not to push it . when we go our plan is this: we start on the treadmill, then go to the elpitical we walk the tread for 15-20 mins, then the eliptical for about 10-15 we go to this room that has a thing you sit on and squeeze your thighs together ( fyi It hurts!) then the same machine but backwards to that your thighs dont touch. they have many more for your legs and arms we havent really gotten serious about theese we have done them the longestwe have stayed at the gym so far has been an hour. we are planning to go mon-fri. we go at 6:45 after we eat dinner, and somedays were going to go twice a day ( will go in the am)

I dont feel like im doing enough to burn calories/ loose weight. any advice? are we not doing enough?

Cearley_est_02

Asked by Cearley_est_02 at 1:56 PM on Mar. 19, 2010 in Health

• You also have to alter your diet. Because it takes hours to burn off 200 calories and only about 2 mins. to eat a muffin with 1,000. If you don't change your diet, you will not lose weight, regardless of how much you exercise. If you do it in combination with Weight Watchers, you will definitely lose. My mom did that and lost over 60 lbs. in 6 mos. There was actually a huge article in Time magazine that said that exercising actually makes most people gain weight, because they overeat afterwards to congratulate themselves for working out. http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1914857,00.html Read the article, it is very interesting.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 2:00 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• also, if you lift weights, light ones, that will help burn fat.
    Anonymous

• Don't over do it or you will burn out quickly especially when the muscles start hurting. Remember to give your muscles time enough to heal so alternate days. In Physical Therapy they made me do stretches first then warm up on the bike for ten minutes. It might help keep from tearing your muscles doing so much and shocking your body. I like the weight lifting too. I do that, small weights. It builds muscle mass that burns fat for you. Listen to the lady and go slow. Also listen to the poster who said change your eating habits and increase your water intake. Get rid of soft drinks and white foods, go with color.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:42 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• You will lose weight that way, yes, but you also have to examine and alter your diet.

Just because it's not a lot of time doesn't mean you won't benefit. 30 minutes of intense cardio, weights, and stretching will do your body good!
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 6:05 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Check out sparkpeople.com, its a great site for losing weight. The majority of your weight loss will depend on your eating habits not how much you work out. If you eat too much, you will gain and the same goes for if you eat too little.
    Anonymous

• I am currently pregnant with my 6th baby and I'm in great shape. It's not because of family genes either, all the women on my mom's side are fat. I love to eat so it is hard for me to diet but I don't consume fast food, soda, and rarely packaged sweets. All I do is work out 4 days a week. I do a half hour of cardio (eliptical,bike,treadmill,ect.) then I do an hour of weights. Two days I do upper body weights and abs and two days I lower body weighs and abs. It may take a few months to start noticing a difference but keep it up I it will really start dropping.
    valrubio

Answer by valrubio at 10:37 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Just want to say Kudos to you for going to a gym!
    Me & DH signed up for the YMCA & I wanted to go during the day so I could work out & DD could play with kids in the daycare (Im a SAHM)... I could never bring myself to go.. I was too embarrassed since im overweight :(
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 12:26 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• THat is a great plan to build muscle...but you also have to burn fat or you will have a nice flabby layer over your nice new muscles. 20-30 minutes three times a week would be a good start.
    kparker75844

Answer by kparker75844 at 9:26 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• That is a good start---keep going,don't quit!!! And then try eating smaller portions at mealtime and stay away from fast foods and restaurants. Try eating under 1500 calories total each day. you will lose weight and feel so good!!! The exercising you are doing is great! Good luck!
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 10:08 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• It is good to start off slow so that you do not injure yourself. You would be surprised how walking and doing the eliptical will help. And the addition of resistance training is good as well. You can build up slowly. As long as you are not lifting heavy weights, you should not bulk up. Do lighter weights with more reps. Do watch your diet, but i get it when you want to tackle one goal at a time. if you have had a sedentary lifestyle up until now, any excercise is going to help. And do not pay attention to the scale alone, take measurements. even if the scale isn't moving, your body could be shrinking!! Good luck and congrats on making the effort.
    melissa.pruett

Answer by melissa.pruett at 6:43 AM on Mar. 22, 2010