Help with knowing my rights for my delayed child.

I have a 3yr old who has to & speech therapy she is not potty trained because she is developmentally delayed.. the school won't change her if she goes number 2 they want me to come & change her.. so far I have been able to do that but I know I am not always going to be available.. what are my right in IL

maiahlynn

Asked by maiahlynn at 2:01 PM on Mar. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• I don't think you can make them change her, most preschools won't even allow children who aren't potty trained attend, no matter what the sitiuation is
    awelling

Answer by awelling at 2:03 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I work for a school bus company for disabled kids & actually know of some school that do change the kids young & older kids.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 2:05 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Is there an alternate arrangement? Another school you can take her to that will? Do they think that parents can just drop what they are doing, leave work and come change their kids? My son will be starting speech therapy next month (after he turns 3), but they will be coming to his daycare so it won't be an issue. I would switch yours to a daycare and see if the speech therapist can come out there instead to see her.
    mama2conor

Answer by mama2conor at 2:12 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• You'll have to find a different school. And you should. I would doubt if they aren't equipped to change her diaper they are not meeting her other delayed needs. I know the preschool mine is currently at doesn't allow any nonpotty trained 3 year olds, but I would never choose it for a special needs child, either.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 3:15 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I used to work with kids with delays... PM me

Is she recieveing special education services? Does she have an IEP?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:44 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• If it is a private preschool, then no, they don't have to change her if they are not changing other kids in the school, too. If it is a publicly funded preschool, then yes, they could have to change her. As a 3 y/o, she should be receiving special education services through your local school district, which means she could be in a public special needs preschool program or provided with appropriate supports to attend a regular public preschool. The school district is required to provide your child with appropriate services for free, so don't let the thought of the expense deter you. I went through this same thing with my DD son when he was 3 and his preschool wanted me to do the same thing, come change him everytime he pooped, so I pulled him out. It was a privately funded program, so there was nothing else I could do.
    Anonymous

• its a public school shes in a main stream class with a IEP
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 10:08 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• yep, if she is in a public school then they have to accomidate her needs. I have know school district staff that have had to change children much older than that
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:19 AM on Mar. 22, 2010