So you think this is terrible? Lunch lady took away my highschoolers lunch because he owed money in his account.

My son went to buy lunch the other day and the lunch lady told him that he owed $6.00 and took his lunch and said "you won't be getting this", so he went without lunch. I think that his so mean, why not just send a bill to the parents? I am always good about paying my children's lunch account, they just never told my son that he owed money, they could of at least warned him instead of taking it away in such a mean way.

staceynoel

Asked by staceynoel at 2:04 PM on Mar. 19, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• is it not your responsibility as a parent, to stay on top of bills?
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:06 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I agree they should have let him know the first day that he went over so he could have told you and it would have been all taken care of, or even called you.
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 2:07 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I think it is mean, but it is what happens in real life, if you don't have money, you don't get stuff
    awelling

Answer by awelling at 2:09 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Yes, it is my responsibility, but that's not the question wise ass. I have 3 children in 3 diffrent schools, they always tell me when their account is getting low or if the owe money, this time they did not. I think this lunch lady was very mean.
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 2:09 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• This is called reality- You don't pay, you don't get it.

Maybe you'll learn to keep a closer watch, and be responsible next time and simply pay up, rather than waiting for the school to tell you to pay.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:11 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• That is disgusting and you need to tell the principal. No kid should go hungry, even if he owes! I can't believe what the other posters are saying. It's not right!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:15 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Yes, it's the parent's responsibility to stay on top of the bills, but not the kid's responsibility. If the parent didn't pay, the kid shouldn't be made to go without lunch. It's not the kid's fault. My daughter's school will offer a sandwich and milk with a 40 cents charge to the account instead of the entrees when money is owed on a child's account. Schools should never deny students a meal. Call the school and tell them what happened.
    Anonymous

• Ok..... ObbyDobby, thanks for the great advise, I'll try to be more responsible and keep better track of my kids lunch accounts. I only hope your kids don't have to go without lunch because of your irresponsibilty.
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 2:24 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• At our school system, the kids get a PB sandwich and that's it until the lunch bill is prepaid at the first occurrence and water at the fountain. When your kid comes home hungry as hell, you pay the bill on line.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 2:24 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• It is my 13 year old daughter's responsibility to let me know when she needs lunch money. She occasionally ends up with no lunch. I think this is a GOOD thing because she is learning to be responsible and take care of her own needs, and she is learning there are CONSEQUENCES for not taking care of her bills. I want her to learn these lessons now while the price is small so she knows it before she goes out on her own.

Perhaps the lunch lady was not polite to your son, but what she did was completely appropriate. As for the not being polite part, I expect anyone who works in a high school cafeteria puts up with more crap from kids than most of us can imagine (not really an excuse, but I expect many of us would become like that after doing that job for a while).

Anonymous