Could this be a mental illness or not?

My child is very immature for her age. Everyone tells me, and I have noticed it. Is there away to change this behaivor? She is a 13 but she acts like a toddler in alot of ways-tamtrums, she pretends like everyone likes her and sad to say they don't. She has a few close friends, and they seem ok.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:31 PM on Mar. 19, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I don't think it's a mental disorder, but I do think it sounds like she is having a problem with what is socially appropriate behavior.

Whether it's because something is going on in her life and she's acting out, or whether it's because this is the sort of behavior she's seen modeled (I don't mean that in a mean way, but like if you are sort of a drama queen in your life, or something like that), or if it's because she's simply been allowed to act like a brat, throwing fits to get her way, etc, I don't know. (Again, I don't mean that to be mean or an attack - obviously I don't know how you and your family are with each other.)

If I read right, you're in counseling. I would suggest talking to her counselor about it / getting her into counseling, and, talking to your counselor about it, too, to see if it's something you can help fix, or if it's something she needs to fix.

One thing you can tell here is you love your dd :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:32 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Immaturity isn't a mental illness but if she's not emotionally developing for real then there may be a problem. Have her evaluated

Answer by admckenzie at 2:32 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I would have her tested.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 2:34 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• For some reason she is exhibiting regressive behavior, is there problems at home? It could also be a discipline issue, have your evaulated, there could be deeper reasons to why she is acting this way. I would not say it is a mental illness but maybe a deeper issue, but i cannot really tell you (i am currently working on my master's in psychology).
    Anonymous

• Stop insulting her and get her evaluated. It seem as if you have maturity issues. This isn't something that you should post on cafemom about and go around sayin people don't like her. She may have a real problem.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 2:36 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Yes God forbid you ask for advice on a website she'll never see....
    MizusT

Answer by MizusT at 2:40 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I need help and we are both in therapy, I go to classes trying figure out was it me, or is it from my mothers side of the family-there is alot of mental illness.
    LAURENKAYE29-
    out of 7 teachers, 1 teacher noticed that the kids are not her friends, besides me and who knows what else is being said?

I am not insulting my daughter, I am asking for advice?? more help??? How can I do it? Is there a test for emotionally developed where do I go??? Sometimes the doctors don't tell you everything, and I have been through alot with my baby, she is my heart, and I will do what I have too to help..
    It has been on going for years.
    Anonymous

• I don't think any teenager has a mental illness. Those things are easily diagnosed and over diagnosed. If you take her somewhere she'll be diagnosed with something she probably doesn't have and might have to be on meds the rest of her life. Have you tried talking to her?
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 3:11 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Please seek professional help as soon as you can. Being a teenager is painful enough. Having overt issues that can be cause for hurtful teasing from others is REAL. You should start with the school psychologist. Ask her for a couple of referrals. Don't be ashamed or feel guilty. This is supporting your child whom you love with all your heart. Wishing you and your daughter all the best...
    companygoddess

Answer by companygoddess at 3:38 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• She might just have social anxiety. I was a pretty awkward kid when I was going through puberty. Really silly and weird. I threw tantrums with my parents too.
    I'm not mentally ill. I grew out of it eventually.
    Maybe she just isn't catching up to her hormones as fast as the rest of the kids are.

If you are genuinely concerned I would talk to your family doctor about it and get advice from her/him.
    It could be nothing, it could be something.
    You are a good mom for being concerned and wanting to help your daughter.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 7:56 PM on Mar. 19, 2010