symptoms...

Is there a sight or something that I can list some things that my baby does to see what it could be.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:44 PM on Mar. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• This one right here. What are you seeing that you're unsure of? From there, some recommedations can be made.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:48 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I've noticed she is way to into staring at lights, and her hands. She lately hits her head alot until i put my hand in the way. And she doesn't seem to answer to her name. She's 8 months old. And I know the head hitting is in Autism. But thats about as much as I know about it, IF the rest could be, IF its hereditary, or just chance. I'm just worried about her.
    Anonymous

• Most people don't notice signs of autism until closer to 18 months. The things you listed seem fairly "typical" - they are noticing new sights/sensations (many babies pull at their ear or hair, to the point of hurting themselves because it's a new feeling and they are realizing they have some control over their environment). But if you have concerns, mention it to your dr and early intervention in your area will do a free evaluation if you call them.

Answer by missanc at 2:57 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Ah.

Here's the thing. You can scare the hell out of yourself by searching online. I hasd myself convinced that my son had gigantism! No, he didn't...but BOY did I think he had the listed symptoms!

Rather than trying to play doctor, see your doctor. Rule of thumb is when you think you need to, you DO need to. Staring at lights and hands doesn't strike me as odd. Nor is the not answering to her name...babies don't quite "get" language. (The word "infant" came from the Latin for "without speech.") The hitting of the head is the one red flag I see....so see your doc.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:17 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Just because they stare in to the light or their hand does not mean they are autistic. My daughter does that when she is tired. She also runs in to things alot. She also even being 11 months old doesn't responed to her name all the time.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 3:27 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• All of that sounds completely normal to me! My dd went through a phase of staring at the fan on the ceiling, then starting at her hands and now she kind of headbangs sometimes...it's totally normal to worry but it's most likely totally normal! Ask her pedi at her 9 month check up!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 4:49 PM on Mar. 19, 2010