Why does a president's religion matter?

Thanks to whoever posted the rickroll yesterday...but...

If we are truly a nation with freedom of religion, what does a candidate's religion even matter? Why do we bother asking? Is it really all that important?

I'd love it if NO candidate EVER mentioned their religion, and if Presidents were sworn in on the document that is truly Holy Writ for every citizen...the Declaration of Independence.

Asked by gdiamante at 3:11 PM on Mar. 19, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't think it does matter. A lot of people say they don't care if he is Muslim or not, they don't like that they think he is lying. I personally think they hate Muslims and are scared of them and are using the "lying" as a copout
    awelling

Answer by awelling at 3:13 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• A President's religion does not matter.
    Anonymous

• People are to noisy that's why they ask. There is no such thing as privacy any more, and some people will make a choice based off of some one religion. It is stupid if some one is an idiot their religion is not going to make them any wiser.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 3:19 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• It doesn't matter.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 3:21 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• It doesn't.
    Anonymous

• I love that idea!

But I think to a lot of people, religion matters because they feel like someone who shares their religion will also share their values, if not their opinions. Not true, I know...but that's what people seem to think, at least the ones I've asked, and politicians love to exploit that.

And then there are the ones who want to dredge up every skeleton in the closet and religion seems to be a good place to start. Just think of all the people out there who wouldn't vote for someone if they knew that person had practiced Wicca, for instance, or claimed to be Christian and then went out and committed adultery.

But then I'm from the Bible Belt, so I may see a lot more of that than those in other parts of the country.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 3:27 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Uhhhhgggggggggg, not that AGAIN!!!!!!!!!
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 3:32 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• The first half of what you said, awelling, is correct. The second half is just the same bs you usually spew.

His religion doesn't matter. The FACT that he is lying does.

AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 3:34 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• His religion doesn't matter. The FACT that he is lying does.

Fact? What fact? Please, PROVE it.
    Anonymous

• I think it matters to individuals because of values as well. I have Christian values and it is only natural that I would like to see those same values in the president. This being said, I do not have an issue with another faith or no faith UNLESS my own religious freedoms are trod upon.

I also agree with AngelDawn7. Lying matters a HEAP!!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 3:47 PM on Mar. 19, 2010