how bad can it get??

cracked bleeding nipples from breastfeeding. only been doing it for about a week. how bad can this get and how will it get better if I'm still breastfeeding?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:25 PM on Mar. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It shouldn't last too long. You're breasts need to get used to it. I know it's not easy right now, but it does get better and totally worth it.

Hope this helps a bit.
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 3:27 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I had it like that for about two weeks with my first baby (I think I cried more than the baby!). It never got that bad with the second. If you don't already have some buy some Lansinoh cream and put it on super thick after every nursing session. You can also express a little breast milk and rub that on the nipple. It does get better. Hang in there!
    Anonymous

• It's bad the first 1 1/2 - 2 weeks. Then it gets better. Put something on your nipples, Aquaphor or something like it. If it helps, pump and feed the baby a bottle when it's too painful. I did that and it worked out great.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:34 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• first, congrats on the new baby and breastfeeding. . . Having been there (and still there) I know what you are going through. It will get better, just keep telling yourself that. just remember to try and let your nipples air dry after nursing, and apply lanolin after each nursing. Some moms also swear by massaging a little breast milk into the nipple and then letting it air dry.

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 3:41 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Yeah just in hang in there about week more is probably as long as that part will last. I thought bfing was unbearable the first week or two but after that it was nothing.
    Anonymous

• Lanolin. That's what I was thinking of, not Aquafor!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:49 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Ouch! Sorry, I never had that problem... Mine were sore but never cracked or bleeding. They sound too dry. Use lanolin and when you shower don't use soap on them that can dry them.
    Jessycwr

Answer by Jessycwr at 3:52 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• If you're in a LOT of pain, there could be a latch problem. I highly recommend seeing an IBCLC (but they are not free) or contacting your local La Leche League (their meetings are free to attend, although you CAN become a member for about $40 a year, which gives you access to their library, and a subscription to their magazine, the ONLY magazine dedicated completely to BREASTFEEDING families). To find your local LLL, go to LLLI.org.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:56 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• It gets better.   I got my latch issue fixed the I dipped my nipples it shot glasses of salt water (stings a little), put on lansinoh, and stayed tpoless as much as possible.    Putting baby in different positions helped a lot!      see www.drjacknewman.com    and  www.kellymom.com

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 4:14 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Mine hurt for the first 3 weeks and then it got better and now I'm SO glad I stuck it out because it's so worth it! I'd call the hospital and ask to speak to a lactation consultant about the best way to treat your nipples - it WILL get better! Good luck!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 4:47 PM on Mar. 19, 2010