need help keeping my son in his bed

hes 20 months old hes currently still in a crib till my brother and his girl move out then hes going in a toddler bed but he WILL NOT stay in his bed at all every nap and bed time he gets out i put him back and put him back itll go on for 3 hours nothing works after the 2nd time i wont say anything to him i just put him back ive even gotten to the point that ive smacked his butt for it and he crys 2 secs and does it agian its day after day after day and i cant take it anymore i cant do anything that needs done while they nap cuz he wont stay in his bed i only get an hour to get stuff done and thats spent putting him in bed a million times i need some suggestions on wat to do im at a lose i will try anything at this point ive put him down at 230 and its now almost 4 and im still putting him back in help!!!!

cocobutt2002

Asked by cocobutt2002 at 3:37 PM on Mar. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try laying him in his bed and pull up a chair. Sit with him untill he falls asleep. If he starts getting out of his bed just tell him "no, little timmy lay back down, momma's here." It's kind of reassuring ya know?
    Elijahsmom800

Answer by Elijahsmom800 at 3:43 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Why are you taking him out of the crib? I would just keep having him sleep in there. I know my son is going to be in the crib until the last possible second because he's so crazy he'd be all over the place.
    Anonymous

• im taking him out of the crib cuz hes getting too big for it hes banging his head on the sides at nite and getting his feet stuck at nite while hes sleeping and i have tryed sitting htere with him but that dont work either he just sits there and laughs at me and trys to play games instead of sleeping
    cocobutt2002

Answer by cocobutt2002 at 3:46 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I would stick with the crib for a lil bit longer...sounds like he isn't quite ready yet
    Anonymous

• my son was like that for a little while. i started just leaving him in there and closing the door. sometimes he would go right to sleep, other times he would pull clothes out of the dresser, turn his cd player up full blast, sit on his sister...i would only go in the room if his sister was crying. this was a phase for him, it lasted about a month. then it happened again when he learned to open the door :)
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:34 PM on Mar. 19, 2010