How are teens introduce to cigarettes?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:04 PM on Mar. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• My friend's parents smoked and she would steal a few here and there so we could sneak off to smoke them. So to those folks who say "I smoked and it didn't affect my kids" you're avoiding the truth. If parents smoke, then their kids are going to have easier access to cigarettes. Also, if kids see their parents smoke, its more likely to make smoking seem safe and they'd be more willing to try it.
    Anonymous

• By bad parents? Older siblings? Other teens?
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 4:05 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• other teens, parents and people they're generally around
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 4:06 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• The same way they are introduced to everything: parents, siblings, peer, society in general.
    Merjo

Answer by Merjo at 4:06 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• i got introduced to them thru a friend..and she got them thru one of her friends, who had a parent that smoked...alot of the parents bought them for their kids, which is so frickin stupid...but, whatever..ya cant control them all!! where i live, cigarettes arent even allowed to be displayed anymore (its the law)..they are all behind doors, so that kids cant see them..which i think is a great idea..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 4:09 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Being around those who do!

Answer by older at 4:11 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Depends-- some have family members who smoke, some have peer pressure from 'friends' and classmates-- they could be influenced by seeing celebrities smoking in pictures, in public, smoking is seen on tv and in movies..... it is everywhere.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:13 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Mainly it's other teens, older groups. It can have a lot to do with parents, but that I don't believe is the biggest factor. I smoke, my mom smoke, exc. However my friend and her 5 siblings whole family smokes and none of them do or ever did. I think it has a lot to do with how educated they are and what groups they hang out with. For me though it was pure stress and I saw how it seemed to helped all my friends and co-workers, so I decided one here and there wont hurt before you know it I was addicted to it. It was what I chose to quit drinking for because I found it managed my stress rather than masking it. Though I wouldn't suggest it to people, not because of all the non-smoking propaganda I don't believe half of it, but because it makes every thing stink and is very addictive and the hardest thing I've ever tried to give up.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 4:40 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Family, friends, media. Same way they get introduced to other things. By far, the most unusual place I have seen teens get introduced to them is addiction therapy. Most addiction counseling programs recommend switching one addiction for another- the most common around here is smoking, because it doesn't impair your judgement like alcohol or drugs, and it's legal, unlike drugs. Unless you are a teen struggling with a pot addiction or another addiction, of course. They still tell them to start smoking, then the kids get hooked on smoking and think it's okay because they were told to at therapy.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 4:58 PM on Mar. 19, 2010