So... how do i answer these questions my son asks?

I just need to know how other single mothers handle it when their sons ask questions about "boy parts"... I never know what to tell my son, such as when he wakes up feeling a little funny or why sister is missing her "boy parts"? Lol. I ask my mom and friends who have boys and everyone says its just a normal three year old thing to ask about... But how do you answer the akward questions???

Keaton_Hazel

Asked by Keaton_Hazel at 4:26 PM on Mar. 19, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• With truth! We are Christians so I tell my son that God makes the parts different and they do different things. He is ok with that answer.

I have told him Girl parts do girl things and boy parts have a special job too.
    Anonymous

• I sorta just pretend i didnt hear him and change tje subject. Or say something like "just because some things are different about boys and girls". I have no clue.
    Keaton_Hazel

Answer by Keaton_Hazel at 4:37 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• when I was a kid if I didn't believe the answer I was given I just kept digging until I got one that sounded like the truth-
    Embarrassed the heck out of mom at one of her nursing reunions- went up to her and a table of her classmates wondering if anyone of them could tell us how babies got into mommy's tummies since my mom didn't know-then said that I didn't understand why they didn't teach her that in nursing school!
    mom claimed she had told me, I insisted that she hadn't, then she told me that she'd tell me later. So when I asked later she told me she didn't remember any of it and didn't know WHAT I was talking about-
    Not what I would recommend personally-
    Anonymous

• I told my son that we were all made different. That boys have penises and girls don't. He was happy with that. He is now 8 and hasn't asked anymore questions.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 6:09 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Are you honestly embarrassed? He's your son! I think you know what they do as much as a father figure would (at this stage in the game, at least -- if you don't, get yourself a book), so your problem has nothing at all to do with being a single mother. Tell him his sister isn't missing her "boy" parts, she doesn't have a PENIS because she has a VAGINA instead. Boys and girls are different in that way. That's what makes them different. You can tell him that. You can use the appropriate words. Keeping all things sexual from kids as though it's this awful shameful thing can be very damaging in the long term. I'm not saying you have to sit down with him and draw diagrams, but answer his questions (not more than he's asking, but just what he is asking) in a truthful, appropriate way.
    Anonymous

• Be honest, and use proper names for body parts and their functions.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:24 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• there are a couple of books that are made for kids and explain the male and female anatomy to them where they can understand and we are in awwwww cuz we didnt think of it. i would look it up or ask a book store,
    mrscoty

Answer by mrscoty at 6:05 AM on Mar. 20, 2010