Why is it that we give our used clothes to good will and they get to sell them?

Shouldnt that kind of stuff just go to shelters and such that people are in need of free clothes?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:38 PM on Mar. 19, 2010 in Money & Work

• Give them to shelters then. Goodwill does pay its employees. Poor people need clothes too so they buy from goodwill
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 4:41 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Goodwill sells the stuff to fund programs for people with disabilities. They're not pocketing the profits!
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 4:42 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Good will is there to simply provide jobs. And anyway the prices are dirt cheap so what does it matter? You can ask for the reciept and it will go on your tax deduction.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 4:47 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• You donate clothes, they sell them to raise funds for their charity work. You can donate clothes to shelters if you prefer.
    Anonymous

• So have a yard sale if the fact that goodwill sells donations bothers you.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 5:01 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I donate mine to homeless shelters and domestic violence shelters. It's just on what you want to do.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:08 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Like others have said your giving your clothes to them so they can sell them to fund programs, they hire people who are in need of jobs and unlikely to find them elsewhere. You have the option of picking which organization you donate to, either way you get a tax write off if you remember to ask for a receipt so I dont understand why this would bother someone.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 5:08 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Goodwill provides jobs, and they also do charity work and community work. They don't just take the profits for themselves.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 5:14 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• thats why I give our old stuff to a charity that doesn't sell them.

and if I do sell the items I go to the Womens emergency shelter - proceeds go to helping the women and children
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 5:47 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I don't give to goodwill. I give to the Medina children's home that sells it but only to make money for the home. I do think they use the stuff that they can since they always want donations for things like toothbrushes.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 6:03 PM on Mar. 19, 2010