labor and delivery

what does labor feel like especially when the head is being delivered. how does the bags of water feel when it breaks

mother1sttimesc

Asked by mother1sttimesc at 4:48 PM on Mar. 19, 2010 in Pregnancy

• are you talking about in labor with no drugs?
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 4:56 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• The bag of water feels like someone poped a warm water balloon between your legs. I think delivery feels diffrent for everybody. For my son it felt like my whole vagina was on fire and with my daughter I felt nothing (drugs).
    Es_May

Answer by Es_May at 5:02 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• a great book is birthing from within :)

how the actual birth feels definitely would vary from baby to baby. it also depends on if you are pushing naturally or coached. (google purple pushing)

when my water broke, it just felt like some water spilling out of my vagina. that's all.
    Anonymous

• The water feels like a rush of water between your legs. I think I said Eww when it happened. Feels a little weird but nothing crazy. I was in labor for 16 hours and a hour of pushing. I just remember the doctor saying a head and shoulder was finally out and that gave me a burst of energy to push more and I remember the relief it felt to have finally pushed baby out. I don't remember actually feeling the head alone. I also tore pretty badly since his head and shoulder came out at the same time. I remember feeling the doctor stitch me up. That was probably the worst part feeling the needle and string. I still shiver thinking about it to this day.
    Anonymous

• With my one natural birth, the water breaking was like an explosion, but I was fully dilated. I dont' remember what delivering the head felt like, I just remember that I was scared because I hadn't planned a natural birth and didn't know I was that far along. Anyway, they told me I was ready to push and I told them I couldn't because I was scared of the pain, but then my body pushed the baby out. It must have hurt pretty bad because I screamed which was very embarassing for me, but as soon as the baby was out I felt perfect. Sorry I'm sure that wasn't helpful, basically I'm just saying I can't remember and as soon as she was out I felt great.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 5:33 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• it was totally different for all three of my babies

the only constant was how it started (for the first two only though #3 was an induction after 6weeks of nonprogressing labour)

I had my water broken for all three - there was a LOUD *POP* and gush. all three managed to soak the dr (much to dh's entertainment)

and I did have an epidural but could feel - it was really HARD pressure. like a BIG bowel movement that you absolutely HAVE TO PUSH OUT NOW. strangest feeling ever. I kept the level of epi low enough to feel everything but not have pain.

but its all different so there's no real answer.

just a really big GOOD LUCK AND HAPPY LABOURING MAMA!
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 7:14 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• My contractions were bad..all back labor. Still, I had no drugs. As he was about to come out, the doc gave me some numbing shots around the area and gave me an epsiotomy. So, I didn't have the burn. He was born and all that went away.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:20 PM on Mar. 19, 2010