child custody

does anyone know about child custody in New Jersey? my daughters father thinks he can have her but she doesnt have his last name and his name isnt on her birth certificate. only thing that links her to him is DNA. can anyone help me out?!?!?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:18 PM on Mar. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• DNA is all you need. Doesn't matter whos last name she has. DNA is the factor.
    He has every right to see his daughter.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 5:19 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I think in any state fathers are intitled to visitation or some sort of custody unless they are unfit , it doesn't matter if they are on the birth certificate or not
    awelling

Answer by awelling at 5:19 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• He'll have to take you to court and establish paternity.
    Gealach

Answer by Gealach at 6:23 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Mrs.Owen86 is correct.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 6:57 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• why are you so against her father being in her life? and i agree with all the previous posters.
    Anonymous

• I agree with Mrs.Owen86. It's his child too. His DNA is coursing through that little girl's veins. You can't deny him a relationship with his child. Please...don't take this the wrong way, but grow up.
    Anonymous

• first he has to take you to court and establish paternity. If your not going after him for child support he has to register as a punitive father he can't just say, "hey I think so and so gave birth to my baby I want a DNA test" they won't do it. You have to apply for cs first, give a list of possible daddy's, they have to be tested and one has to be named father. Then a judge will rule he be put on the birth certificate. If you don't ever file for child support or welfare (because then you are required to file for cs) your in the clear. I know this because I have a guy friend in NJ who knew the baby in question was his and he wanted it but he could only register as a punitive father. They told him they could not just call up woman out of the blue and test their baby because some guy thought it might be theirs, it wasn't legal. On the other hand if she ever applied for anything they got her.
    Anonymous