Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I file for divorce when I have no money?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 6:15 PM on Mar. 19, 2010 in Relationships

Answers (6)
  • some courts will waive the fee, depending on the situation

    Answer by vgiron at 6:19 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

  • I believe some courts offer deferment as well or a portion of the filing fee to be waived.

    Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 6:25 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

  • courts don't "waive fees"
    there are pro-bono law firms that help needy families, but only for divorce IF domestic violence is involved.


    Answer by Anonymous at 6:43 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

  • M y mom is looking to file for a divorce and has no money. The lawyer told her if he's ever been unfaithful, abusive (physical, emotional, or mental) or neglectful, than if she files for the divorce he will have to pay. Now this is in our area. She started out talking to a legal aid for free and they are advising her on what to do. You might see if there is some kind of legal aid that you can talk to.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:13 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

  • they waive all all but a $20 filing fee. i just got my divorce finalized today. so i would know.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:28 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

  • Go to your courthouse and tell them your situation and they will get you in the right hands. I know someone that did that and she got divorced really inexpensively.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:14 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Relationships
TMI probably

Next question overall (Trying to Conceive)
3 days late but get a neg.