Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can a social worker visit be used in court?

I'm just wondering if a social worker visit can be used in a custodial case if there are no findings. It hasn't happened, but I am afraid that if DD's father ever tries for custody that his girlfriend will call them just to use it in court.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 6:33 PM on Mar. 19, 2010 in Relationships

Answers (8)
  • I dont think i can be unless the out come of the visit is bad. If they clear you and find nothing wrong on your part then its shouldn't matter.

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:35 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

  • yes social worker visits can be used in court

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:41 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

  • yes, they can. HOWEVER, unless there is a negative outcome, it is unlikely to affect the case, especially if the opposing party was the one who called. IF that were to happen, you would have to bring proof that the outcome was favorable. My "Sister" (best friend since childhood) recently dealt with this... She has sole custody. But she did have to prove that the outcome of the invistigation was favorable.

    Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:02 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

  • Yes things like that can be used

    Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 7:03 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

  • It can, but can be easily thrown off by the fact that the girlfriend called. If either parents or people who can gain something in the outcome calls cps and nothing is found it can easily be thrown out. As well you will want to remember the case workers name and contact info. where as you will need to call her into court. If the other side called it can be a great point up for you. GOOD LUCK. My friends just went through this if you ever need some advise PM me.

    Answer by hot-mama86 at 7:06 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

  • If you are in the clear and the social worker realizes the call was bs and a waste of time you have nothing to worry about. This never happened to me either "yet" but it was a worry of mine because the pathetic ex and his evil mother in law do not get their way when they try to control me. I was assured by a court worker that if the case gets closed and no wrong finding is found than it holds no weight.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:18 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

  • yes

    Answer by admckenzie at 8:43 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

  • Not in this state (NC). My ex and I went to court recently over custody and he tried to introduce papers showing I had CPS called to my house (by him!!) - the Judge would not allow it unless the CPS lady was in the courtroom for my attorney to cross examine. So maybe it depends on the state, but they would not be allowed to use it here unless the social worker was present in the courtroom.

    Answer by missanc at 10:13 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.