Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How can I get out of my parent's house?

So basically I have messed up/wasted my whole life. I'm 25 with a 23 month old. We live at my parent's house and I work as a babysitter after school. I need a new job but I have no skills and only retail and childcare experience. I would prefer to stay out of daycare bc I don't want my son in daycare. Unless I can make enough to have a babysitter or even in home daycare. I'm starting college classes in August but that will still take 4 years. I do get child support. But is it possible to live off of financial aid, and public assistance, and child support and babysitting money? Or is there a better solution? I can't stay here bc my parent's make us share a room and a twin bed even though they have a whole other room. My son has tons of toys and stuff in storage and basically all we have here is our clothes. All I want is a tiny 2 bedroom apartment.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 6:41 PM on Mar. 19, 2010 in Money & Work

Answers (10)
  • working daycare would actually be your best option, they generally offer a free spot for your child if you work there. Why pay when it can be free?

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:45 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

  • OP- bc I have worked in day cares and they are horrible! I would rather not have my son in that kind of environment. I will if it's my only option but it's not my first choice.

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:47 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

  • Why don't you work in a daycare that your son can go to with you. Or do home daycare when you move out. Personally I think going back to school when you already can't support you or your son and are living at home is stupid and all you will do is rack up a bunch of debt. You need to work, not be in school

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:48 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

  • The work as a nany and bring your son

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:49 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

  • OP- I need to go to school so I can work more than a dead end job for the rest of my life. I know I will get financial aid and I can do the first 2 years online so I can still work full-time.

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:50 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

  • You will probably have to put your son in daycare. Find a GOOD quality home daycare though. Take your time and interview them well. They should cost about the same or less than a child care center. At least that's always been my experience. A great job with flexible hours that I found was working as a senior citizen companion. I worked for Home Instead Senior Care but I know there are other companies out there. When I worked there, I was paid $8 an hour but that's been 10 years ago lol. So I'm sure its more now. The duties included going to elderly persons home, sitting with them, keeping them company, running errands for or with them (you get reimbursed additional for gas/mileage for that), occasionally makign their meals. It's very simple if you enjoy most elderly people. Some of them are difficult but mots of them are just happy to have someone with them. It's something to look into.

    Answer by AprilDJC at 6:58 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

  • And, if you are working, you can get subsidized child care. I know when I had to work, I got Title XX for my 2 kids for daycare. It was still a little bit expensive but I found a GREAT in home child care that accepted the Title XX and the boys loved their daycare provider. Good luck!

    Answer by AprilDJC at 6:59 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

  • You working in childcare & having your son their is actually a great option for you. I'm not a single parent or living at my mother's, but I had my son in the daycare in which I was working. I hated the fact that he had to be there all day & I don't want to be a preschool teacher, either. But it's an opportunity that was given to me & I took advantage of it. It allowed me to move out of my mother's house, and my boyfriend and I now live together. (I make $7.25/hr, 40 hrs/wk) Plus it's a lot more flexible if I have to take off work & need someone to watch my son. There's no schedule conflict or anything. This is absolutely not what I planned on, but I'm making a life for myself & this is just for the now. You don't have to do it forever...I most certainly am not. I'm can deal with it.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:05 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

  • OMG...Why oh why....I would not work in Daycare ever again, or put either of my girls in daycare Ever....Let me tell you..I am a mom of 2 and I would literally do whatever it takes to keep them out of daycare and myself too...I have done YEARS AND YEARS of in-house care and I treat every child like gold (or I would not have people seeking me out) however, bottom line it STINKS AND ITS now the very best most wonderful thing in the world to be 100% completely truthful is my homebased business. If you worked PT or FT you could absolutely still with the right company make enough for a 2 bedroom apt live on your own, pay for school work whenever the hell you can not hours you HAVE TO and be TOTALLY great..
    If you are willing to do whatever it takes to be motivated make money be successful and prideful. lets talk

    Answer by Happymom2-2 at 8:30 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

  • Why haven't you taken this opportunity to go back to school? Start with a community college; the credits will easily transfer to a university, and many classes will be online.

    If you have not already done so, you should file for child support.

    Answer by rkoloms at 9:05 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.