Just Diagnosed...

My grandma was just diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer two days ago. I am at a loss as to where she can go go get on some kind of support group or where my family can turn to for support. If you know of anyone diagnosed, or where we can go, please let me know. I was given the task of getting all the info that I can for everyone. I searched but nothing really helped as far support groups. I found a LOT of info, but no support. We live in Omaha, NE Thanks for any help

HuskerMommy08

Asked by HuskerMommy08 at 6:45 PM on Mar. 19, 2010 in Health

• i'm sure there is a cancer support group on here or you can start your own. sorry to hear about your grandma but i'm sure you will have lots of support here. tell her to join.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 6:51 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I am so sorry. I am a critical care nurse and my grandfather died of pancreatic cancer. He died 2 months after being diagnosed. We brought him home with hospice home care. It was the best decision we could have made. He lived out the rest of his life with dignity , pain management, and his family by his side. Hospice helped with medical, emotional and spiritual support for him as well as our family. The prognosis is very poor for stage 4 pancreatic cancer.
    Grandmarga

Answer by Grandmarga at 7:02 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• contact a hospice.

even if you do not have a family member at the hospice, most have classes and different contacts to help the family of someone who's going to pass.

My FIL passed away from brain cancer - he did go to the hospice but before he went I contacted them and got help. how to manage and how to grieve. how to let the kids know.

I'm so sorry for you. prayers to you and your family. Cancer sucks beans.

stay strong mama and cry when you need to, get mad when you need, and be happy when you need.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 7:25 PM on Mar. 19, 2010