Five dollars?

Why is it that my stepson hits me up for money when he has over 150 in his top drawer? This has happened several times. At first I did not know he was doing it until a few months ago I was cleaning his room. I went to put his clothes away and he had fives, ten and twenties scattered all in the drawer. So I asked him why he always asks for money and he said because it is my JOB to pay for the things he wants. He is 17!!! Whatever. He wanted to go out with friends tonight and asked for 5 dollars and I said no. Then he went to his dad and asked for it and I said tell him no. then he said "that's okay I got it anyway." His dad thinks I should of given it to him. Am I wrong?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:24 PM on Mar. 19, 2010 in Relationships

• He's 17. He should get a job. I had a job when I was 17.
    Not only that, you're his stepmom. You don't "owe" him a damn thing. If his dad wants to give him money then that's his business. If his bio-mom wants to give him money, that's her business.
    It is in no way your "job" to pay for the things he wants.
    If he really wants it bad enough then he can earn it.

If he has a drawer full of money then he can spend that. When that runs out then he can do some chores and EARN money.
    If he doesn't learn the value of a dollar then he will be spoiled and expectant his whole life.
    There's nothing more irritating than a brat who thinks he's entitled to everything without having to work for it.

I think you were right.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 7:50 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I give my son money even tho he has quite a large cash stash. My parents also paid for everything my sis and I did so it's just normal to me.
    but...
    I also don't think you are wrong if you choose to make him pay for own extra activities once in awhile . I don' t think there is a right or wrong answer to this.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 7:27 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I think if he is saving for a car or whatever then it is fine to give him money. I mean it is five bucks, it is not like he keeps asking for $200 at a time.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:30 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• he's at an age where he should be partially paying his own way.I wouldn't have given it to him
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 7:48 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• His dad gave it to him? Your his stepmom-it's not your job to do anything for that kid.
    ArkTech

Answer by ArkTech at 8:23 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Maybe he's saving for something special. I'd respect that. He IS a minor and without a job what do you want him to do, steal money? Yes giving him money is part of being a parent.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:44 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Maybe he's saving it for something. Technically, it IS a parent's job to provide for their kids, until they are 18. My mom gave me money for lunch, bus fare, etc, even though I had at least $200 in my drawer. I used it for extra goodies-like cd's and books.
    Anonymous

• I meant I used the EXTRA MONEY IN MY DRAWER for cd's and books! Just wanted to clarify.
    Anonymous

• Uh no I don't think you or your husband should give him money when he has his own. I think that it sends a very bad message. When he has to spend his own money he may learn to be more careful about what he uses it for. When there is an unlimited supply of cash from parents, I am sure he is not leaning a thing about money management. 17 is a good age to learn this. It seems like our generation teaches our kids to be dependant and not independant. I had to earn my own money growing up and I learned to be careful what I spent it on or else I'd run out! It made me make choices about what I needed/wanted to spend it on! How about setting up a saving account for him?
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 9:57 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I think the amount he wants is low-key and fine, but his entitlement attitude stinks.

It's probably time to bust out some old-fashioned, character-building, value-of-a-dollar and working-for-it lessons. Better get hubby on board, or you'll have no luck at all.
    Anonymous