how much should i be able to pump at once?

i had my baby 9 days ago and ive tried pumping a couple times but i can only get about 1 to 2 oz each time. how much should i be able to pump in one sitting?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:57 PM on Mar. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Many women can only get around 2 oz. out by pump, breast pumps aren't all that efficient at getting milk out. Pumping most definitely is NOT a good way to judge your supply if your worried about that, your baby is much better at getting that milk out. As long as your baby as plenty of wet and dirty diapers each day and is gaining weight you're doing just fine =)
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 8:01 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• One half to two ounces total is normal pump output. You're doing FINE. Be aware that what you pump ONLY measures how you respond to the pump. Has no bearing on supply. There are women who can feed twins but not get one drop with a pump.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:08 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• One half OUNCE, that is.

• This is normal in the beginning you are only 9 days pp so I am sure you get engorged and believe it or not a full engorged breast is harder to pump and empty out than when your supply regulates. This was true for me anyways. I really didn't get to pump a thing until over 2 weeks pp and now I can pump a lot but it depends on when you last fed the baby, how much he or she nursed that day etc. If i go say 2 hours without nursing i get 2-3 ounces if I go 4-5 hours and pump i can get like 8 ounces. I work now so I am pumping about every 3 hours at work and get 5-6 ounces. But the normal for some women is 2 ounces at a time even though they do not have a supply problem. Not all women get much use out of pumps. I guess I have been lucky.
    Crystal8327

Answer by Crystal8327 at 8:19 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Pumping is very hard work. I could easily feed my baby and then pump an ounce or two. If I pumped only, I could barely get an ounce total. You are doing very well.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:20 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:33 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• That's a very average amount. Is there a reason that you are pumping? Like, are you having to go back to work soon, or anticipating a separation from your baby? If not, I'd suggest, that for now, just nurse on demand. Nursing a newborn is a lot of work as it is, and I'd hate to see you add more work by unnecessarily pumping. I mean, if you need to pump then you need to pump. But if you're just pumping because you feel like you are supposed to or something, I'd give it a rest.

Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:42 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Way to go! Over time you will be able to pump more, I averaged 4.5 ounces total each session.
    Rileysmom425

Answer by Rileysmom425 at 9:00 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• your first response up there is the best one, every body + every breast pump = different results
    irishcoffee

Answer by irishcoffee at 10:36 PM on Mar. 19, 2010