I'm too scared to fall asleep! please help

last night i was watching my newborn baby sleeping and she started spitting up. I know this is normal but it really scared me because what if i hadnt been awake watching her and she choked? for the rest of the night i had to stay wake for at least an hour after each feeding because i was so scared. So anyway, my question is, what happens when your baby spits up in their sleep and your also sleeping...will they just spit it out or should i be worried

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:02 PM on Mar. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i always put my daugher on her side so if she did she wouldn't choke
    Anonymous

• I agree with anon :06..I placed both of mine on their sides and they were fine. Eventually they get old enough to know to roll or move their head if they need to
    Anonymous

• Just make sure that you burp her well, before laying her down on her back. You might want to hold her upright with her head on your chest for a while after feeding and gently rubbing her back to help her digest. Chances are she spit up because burping while laying on her back can cause a baby to vomit.

I DO remember MANY sleepless nights with my newborns, which is why I used a bassinet positioned next to my side of the bed for their first month before placing them in their crib with a TV style baby monitor.

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:09 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Try feeding her while she is sitting upright and keep her like that for a bit. Make sure she burps really well. And put her on her side. You might wnt her crib/bassinet in your room or have her co-slepp in your bed. You could get a safe co-sleeper positioner if you are scared.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:16 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I had 3 spitters, 2 of which were also severe refluxers. I always put them to sleep propped up on their sides. They also slept next to my bed in a bassinet for several months.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:18 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• That is why we coslept with all three of ours. That way I was aware if they moved or had any trouble breathing.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 8:30 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Generally, it dribbles out of their mouth. But if they were to begin to choke on it, I'd think you'd hear coughing. Many babies spit up, and in their sleep. They're usually ok. I know you've got new mommy jitters, but you've got to relax for your sake. Does she sleep with you, or in your room? If not, one of those options might help you rest easier.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:38 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• They USED to suggest sleeping them on their tummies to avoid this. The reason they changed the recommendation to sleeping on their backs is that they actually don't choke on their spit-up. I also slept with my baby in our room, but not in our bed. Just sleep. You are a mother... you will hear something and wake up if something is wrong. Tomorrow put in a call to your pediatrician/pediatric nurse just so they can tell you the same thing and reassure you.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:48 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• they can get ear infections that way,milk getting into ther ears.they have those things where u can prop baby up a little while she sleeps
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:12 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• we co-slept just for that reason. my dd was a week old in a bassinet next to our bed when i heard her choking. i turned as quick as a could and i tore out all my staples from my c-section. she just turned 1 last week and she's sleeping in her own crib throughout the night. it's just a matter of doing what you feel is best.
    piercedbeauty21

Answer by piercedbeauty21 at 10:08 PM on Mar. 19, 2010