hypothetically speaking..... (for non-believers)

Ok. Just something I wondered today & cant help but ask non-believers. (Remember, just say this happens.. then what would you do. PLEASE dont say -- Oh that WONT happen. Play the game & answer the question):

You die & find yourself in Hell for not believing. Just your luck an angel comes down & ask if you now believe in God. What would you do?
- Stand by your convictions, There is no thing as God. And remain in hell.
- Become a true believer & go to heaven.
- Not really believe but say you believe in hopes it will get you into heaven anyway & out of hell.
-Believe in God, but stay in Hell, "do the crime, pay the time"...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:40 PM on Mar. 19, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'd believe, but I still would not bow down and worship because IMO, God is not worthy of my love or praise. I would feel I've done no crime and stand by my convictions.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:24 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• well, if you are in hell for not believing..and you KNOW you're in hell for NOT beliveing ...then when an angel asks you if you belive in god now..why wouldnt you say yes??
    Anonymous

• Some non-believers don't believe in heaven or hell, angels or demons, God or satan, etc. I'm finding this being just another question intending mockery of particular religions. Have at it if it makes you feel ok.
    Anonymous

• True, I'd have to agree with the anonymous poster. If you're in hell, obviously god is true. I could ask you the same thing- if you end up anywhere BUT heaven, would you still believe in God?
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 8:45 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• you know, I was almost willing to play your little game until I read the words "True Believer"... then I vomited in my mouth a little.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:45 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Option B: Become a believer and go to Heaven. Not because it would be, as someone one another post put it, a "get out of hell free card", but the reason I am an athiest is because I personally have never had a reason TO believe in god or angels or hell. So I'm pretty sure I'd believe in hell if I was in it; I'd believe in angels if I saw one; and if the angel told me there was a god, I'd have no more reason to doubt it.

I also wouldn't consider not believing to be a crime; to me, if there was a god and he wanted me to believe, he would know my reasons for disbelieving and would reach out to change that. I don't think exercising the free will he supposedly gave me is grounds for eternal punishment.
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 8:46 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I would ask if God wanted me in heaven so much, why did he send me to Hell in the first place? I would have been much more convinced there was a heaven if I went there first and met God himself instead of a messenger. Instead I'm being tortured along with rapists, murderers, and pedophiles for using my free will. And how am I to believe this angel is genuine? He could easily be a trick of Satan to torture me further, right?

That angel will have a lot of questions to ask, cause I'm not going to jump into an immediate faith without reason.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 8:50 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• If they found themselves in hell, it would be too late to go heaven even if they decided to believe. I they're in hell, they've already passed judgment. So they'd have to "pay the time" either way.
    Anonymous

• Common sense would dictate that when presented with logical evidence of God, anyone of sound mind would believe. The entire difference between an believer and a nonbeliever is that those of us who do not believe have seen no logical evidence that such a being exists and are following what we believe to be true- that one doesn't. A believer, on the other hand, sees things that they believe are proof. It may not seem logical to us non believers, but I can accept that it's good enough for them.
    But to play along- if I found myself in hell, that would be proof that it existed, and it could be logically deduced that is hell exists, God and heaven likely do as well. So believing would become a matter of fact
    mandaday

Answer by mandaday at 8:54 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• If I found myself in hell and some random angel appeared declaring there was in fact a God....I"d have a lot of questions before I went willingly.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:56 PM on Mar. 19, 2010