Depressed?

My baby is one month. I find myself always being sad. Does this mean Im depressed?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:41 PM on Mar. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• IT could yes, Talk to your Dr about PPD. I was on anti depressants for 6 months and feel so much better now!
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 8:42 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Do you feel depressed? Can you go a little further into how you feel? With a one month old, it could just be hormones and exhaustion, but you could also be depressed. What is a typical day like for you?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:44 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• one minute Im happy the next Im sad and just feel like crying...
    Anonymous

• It could be PPD but what they call the "baby blues" is a milder version that almost all mothers experience. Your hormones are all over the place in those first weeks after delivering a baby. It's normal to a point, but you should always talk with your doctor or midwife if you feel you need help. Even if you're not sure. There are a lot of resources to help women with PPD, but it depends on where you live. I would start with your doctor and go from there.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:52 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• i did when my son was born may of 2007.......he's the only one i gave birth too. i take super b complex, a woman's multivitamin and sam-e and it helps me although my depression has gotten way better than when i gave birth to my son. my husband told me to get up and do a few dirty dishes, vacuum, clean the house to get my mind off things and it works. read a book or start a hobby using your hands.
    jilligan362

Answer by jilligan362 at 9:53 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• When you're sad, and crying, is there anything that triggers it? Anything specifically that you are thinking about while you are sad? I think that it couldn't hurt to speak to a doctor or a therapist. Do you go out during the day, or just stay home? Getting out, even with the baby, helps a lot. Are you nursing? If you are, you should know that the hormones released during nursing help ward off depression. If you're not, and are interested in trying, you can, and I, and others here can advise you on how to. I'm not going to say anything more about nursing unless you ask. I just wanted to put it out there. So, go for a walk, if you're not already, TALK, to a friend, a therapist, anyone. Saying it out loud helps a lot sometimes. What do you DO all day? That's why I asked what a typical day is like for you. If the depression is not severe, there are plenty of things you can do to feel better. Do you get
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:57 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• dressed every morning? And fix your hair? Even a little makeup? Sometimes, when you look good, you feel good. How are things with your baby? Is s/he very fussy or a calm, easy baby? Do you have any sort of a routine? (for yourself, or for baby) Do you have help? Is the father in the picture? Do you have family and friends in the area?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:59 AM on Mar. 20, 2010