Anyone have father of your child resurface in your life and do a complete turnaround?

The father of my child re-entered our lives after NEVER being in the picture..no support, nothing! Was about $20,000 in arrears, and had a Class C Felony warrant out on him for failure to support a child.

He contacted me after finding me on a site called bookemon.com, a couple days later we talked on the phone, I was highly emotional Two weeks later he met our daughter for the first time took her shopping for clothes, and toys, and just spent time with both of us.

Since then, he turned himself completely around. He got a salaried job, his own place, vehicle, and began paying me support on a weekly basis like clockwork. He has his arrearage almost paid up and is working closely with the support office to get himself cleared of the felony charge. He singlehandedly got us off food stamps, and even though we struggle, hes there financially and emotionally, he visits regularly and is highly supportive. Yes, people can change!

Geishagyrll

Asked by Geishagyrll at 8:42 PM on Mar. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• wow! that is AMAZING!!! That is wonderful for your daughter as well! I hope that he keeps it up and becomes the father every child deserves to have!
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 8:47 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Thanks, yes it is truly amazing. He told me that he watched the Maury Povich show's deadbeat dad topics and he said it was then that he saw himself and just vowed that he would make things right....he told me during our first conversation that nothing was my fault----I blamed myself for years and I really needed to hear him tell me that. He even sent me flowers on my birthday. We are looking forward to his visit this coming week actually--for three days!
    Geishagyrll

Answer by Geishagyrll at 8:52 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• wow. that is fantastic. my daughter's father is out of state and only comes once a month if that and its for a few hours. nothing really substancial. he got mad at me because i did go after child support and didn;t visit for 3 months. he is a little selfish and self centered. i am really glad that your daughter's father did turn around. i wish i had a story to share like that. maybe one day. thanks for the good news.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 8:56 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Lambdarose, I hate that the guys take it out on the kids and stop visiting because they are being forced to support their children..hey, as they say it takes two...never give up hope. Believe me, mine was the most hopeless of hopeless situations, even the family court judge told me at one time that there was less than a 1% chance that Id ever see support from him. he skipped many states over the years.

Stay strong and remain hopeful
    Geishagyrll

Answer by Geishagyrll at 9:01 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• That's such an uplifting story! It gives hope to those that are going through that with their children. Thanks for the great post!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:50 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Youre welcome. I know exactly what it is like to not have the support coming in, and its more than just about money money money as some of the discussions that I read on cafemom suggest. Its about having that security that your child can have what any child requires, and that mom in turn, wont be so stressed out wondering how she will pay for it all..in my case Im disabled and on SSD, even working moms are going to have that worry, one catastrophic medical or persona event can send a family into deep trouble.

So I thought this story would give some hope to moms and dads who are not getting support for their kids.
    Geishagyrll

Answer by Geishagyrll at 10:55 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• That's great! I am glad to hear that he is being there for you both now. I think I would pass out from shock if my son's Dad did that he is a total deadbeat!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:46 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Anonymous.....I probably needed resuscitation when the dad contacted me on the internet, I really thought he was scamming.....and it took a very long time before I felt I could trust him with anything...I still struggle with that but he said he understands he gave me reasons not to trust him and hoped he would earn that again.

He has two adult daughters that never knew they had a sister until this past July....and they've both met their little sister, and bought my daughter a necklace that says 'little sister' and they wear the 'big sis' necklace. Also the dad's mom never knew she had another granddaughter and she met her for the first time two days before Christmas and sent her a birthday card in January too.

I really feel God is working in all our lives, no other explanation for it. im glad I could share this story as there are so many tragic 'deadbeat' type stories and not too many like this.

Have hope and stay strong
    Geishagyrll

Answer by Geishagyrll at 10:19 AM on Mar. 20, 2010