Please help. Im breastfeeding and am so confused.

So I have a 3 week old. I have sharp pains in my breasts. I have theese hard bumps and they are very soar, i keep getting pains in my left breast. I have chills, a fever of 101, im so dizzy, and when i nurse her on my right breast i feel like im going to pass out and the pain in my left breast becomes so strong. im going to cry i just feel so dizzy and aweful. Should i just go buy some formula and be done breast feeding? Is this going to happen all the time? Is it even from brestfeeding?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:45 PM on Mar. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• mastitis (infection). go to your doctor.
    you don't have to stop breastfeeding because of it unless you just want to.
    Anonymous

• that sounds like mastitis.you'll need medication for it. go to your doctor. also after you get the meds nursing is also what helps. it'll hurt until the infection is gone but if you dont nurse thru it the mastitis will likely get worse.
    mywonderyears

Answer by mywonderyears at 8:47 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• You dont have to stop, the best thing to do is continue nursing. try nursing in different positions where babys nose or chin is pointed toward the bumps. Still see your Dr ASAP for some antibiotics, but once your body regulates you will be okay.
    Rileysmom425

Answer by Rileysmom425 at 8:50 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Yep, get to the doc. If you just stop breastfeeding it won't help because it is now becoming infected. Keep nursing it will help tremendously.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 8:51 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• op here- Oh boy that sounds sirious. i do want to bf i really do this is just so painful and this is the third time this has happened. it lasted two to three days the last two times. am i doing something wrong?
    Anonymous

• You need to make sure you are emptying the breast during a feeding. It helps to massage the breast during a feeding. Feel around to see if there are any hard spots and push and massage those spots while feeding. Also change feeding positions. You can google breastfeeding positions and get some ideas/
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 8:54 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• You are learning, and with learning comes trial and error, the poster who said you are not emptying your breast is right. You could pump after feeding, for 5-10 minutes and slowly cut that time down, or you manually express and massage after nursing trying to make sure there are no full ducts. I've always said if you can survive the first 3 weeks, you're set!
    Rileysmom425

Answer by Rileysmom425 at 8:57 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Sounds like an infection I had some pain and swelling when I was engorged for the first 3 weeks but never an infection. If you have a fever that is definitely an infection go to the dr asap.
    Crystal8327

Answer by Crystal8327 at 9:00 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I have always had a clogged milk duct on my right breast as well but I have never had an infection. I have about twice the milk production on my right breast as my left for some weird reason I tried to even this out but it never worked so hard bumps do not always indicate infection because my son is over 7 months old and I have never been sick. But the pain and the fever indicates infection
    Crystal8327

Answer by Crystal8327 at 9:02 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• That sounds like mastitits. Get it under control. http://www.kellymom.com/  has a lot of info on it.

You want to avoid, in the future, engorgment as that is generally the main culprit in mastitis.  That means if you have your baby on a schedule, stop and instead feed on demand.  One breast a feeding and let the baby decide when finished and offer the other breast then.   If the baby doesn't want it then begin with that breast the next feed.       Lots of water, rest, and nutrition.

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:29 PM on Mar. 19, 2010