do you recycle?

Just wondering, we started recycling right before the holidays, and I have to say, Ive noticed that we cut what is sitting at the curb almost in half. it was a real effort at first, but Its interesting to realize what we have kept out of the trash can that can get recycled into something else.

Geishagyrll

Asked by Geishagyrll at 9:20 PM on Mar. 19, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Yes I recycle. In Ny we HAD to recycle or that atleast is what the lease said. Anyways, I moved back down to NC where its not mandatory and I still do it. I noticed though on trash days im like the only one with the blue bags out (we have to put them in clear or blue bags). I dont get it I mean it doesnt take alot of effort to sort out your trash. AND the recycle pick up is totally FREE. I just dont get it.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 9:23 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I agree, after awhile it just became the regular routine of things and it does not take much effort, i think it was just incorporating it into everything else. We have red bins that we have by the curb, and we are one of few who use them. Instead of two cans on the curb we usually have just one.
    Geishagyrll

Answer by Geishagyrll at 9:25 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• THEY DONT HAVE RECYCLE PICK UP AROUND HERE! SO NO WE DONT ,I DONT EVEN KNOW WERE THE NEAREST RECYCLING FACILITY IS!
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 9:26 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• unfortunately I am out in the rural part of town so we dont get the free city recycling pickup. We once had access to a dump/recycling site, but they have started a membership program asking $100 for an annual permit...we cant afford that. But I do try to recycle and reuse. I give egg cartons to local farmers, I reused some of the gallon milk jugs for bird feeders, i reuse mason jars for drinking cups, I also offer glass jars of freecycle. other than that I have to throw it out
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 9:29 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• We HAVE to here in Cali. We get a TINY can for trash, a medium sized one for recyling, and a large one for yard waste.
    MadisonsMom0408

Answer by MadisonsMom0408 at 9:29 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• We have recycling pick-up in our town. We recycle all number 1 and 2 plastics (no other numbers are recycled in our pickup or our area); newpaper; cardboard; paperboard (cereal boxes etc) and other paper such as junk mail, magazines, etc.; glass; aluminium; and "steel". We most often have more recycling than we have trash for the week. We are the only ones on the block with 2 cans. And our aluminium is usually poached by someone that sells it to help support his family before the truck goes through the neighborhood.

We find it very easy to recycle our recycling and after asking the guys that drive the truck, we found out that the stuff picked up at the trash centers was sent to the same centers as what was picked up at the curbs. We then increased to ALL paper goods from just newpapers and cardboard. We usually only have 1 trashcan to be picked up once a week with our family of 6.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:32 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Interesting to learn about recycling programs in other areas. thanks!
    Geishagyrll

Answer by Geishagyrll at 9:35 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Yes, and I wish our area made it easier. Right now I have to drive to the recycling facility to drop it off... we could do a pick up but we have to rent the bin and then walk it to the curb -- not the curb in front of our house, the one that's a tenth of a mile away. It's so much easier to put it in the van and make the short drive to the facility than pay to walk it to the *other* curb.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 9:50 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Yeah we do
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 9:58 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• We recycle and compost. Our city has curbside recycling but we live out of the county, so we have to pay for it. We have weekly pick up but the recycling and composting (we have an outside bin and an inside worm bin) have so reduced our waste that we only have to put the can out 2x month - and it is rarely full. I love that.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:12 PM on Mar. 19, 2010