bumps on cheeks, upperarms

my lil guy has always had tiny bumps on upper arms and cheeks , mostly just FELT and not really seen.. daddy has the bumps on the arms..
I'm wondering if anyone maybe with older children have noticed it goes away or sticks around forever... or if it has any indication of future acne?

Carrie131

Asked by Carrie131 at 9:21 PM on Mar. 19, 2010 in Health

• My oldest dd has those, but she has eczema.
    Anonymous

• I have them on my arms too. I have never been to the Dr. about them, but I have a friend who has and she was told it is a form of eczema and/or it is hormonal. There is treatment for it.
    Anonymous

• Our son has had excema since he was a baby, he also has asthma and when the bumps get worse he's going to start wheezing... Then he needs to use his nebulizer...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:44 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• i have these as well. they are better now than they ever have been. my daughter has them on her legs. i am actually going to cut gluten soon to see if that makes a difference. personally, we do not use a lot of dairy...when i cut out drinking milk and started taking udo's oil is when mine got better.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:07 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• i think what your referring to is Keratosis Pilaris, also known as KP or "chicken skin bumps". It is very often misdiagnosed as eczema. i have it, my daughter has it, my dad had it, 3 of my 4 siblings have it, and my grandfather had it. Here's a little bit about it.
    Keratosis pilaris (commonly called KP) appears as "chicken skin bumps" on the skin. These bumps usually appear on the upper arms and thighs. They also can appear on the cheeks, back and buttocks. Keratosis pilaris, while unattractive, is harmless.
    What Are the Symptoms of Keratosis Pilaris?
    This disorder appears as small, rough bumps. The bumps are usually white or red, but do not itch or hurt. Keratosis pilaris is usually worse during the winter months or other times of low humidity when skin becomes dry. It also may worsen during pregnancy or after childbirth.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 11:39 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• cont.
    How Is Keratosis Pilaris Treated?
    Although the condition may remain for years, it gradually disappears before age 30 in most cases. Treatment of keratosis pilaris is not medically necessary; but, individuals with this condition may want to seek treatment for cosmetic reasons.

The initial treatment of keratosis pilaris should be intensive moisturizing. A cream such as Acid Mantle, Vaseline or Complex 15 can be applied after bathing, and then re-applied several times a day. Other treatments may include:

Medicated creams containing urea (Carmol-20) or alpha-hydroxy acids (Aqua Glycolic, Lacticare) applied twice daily
    Efforts to unplug pores by taking long, hot soaking tub baths and then rubbing the areas with a coarse washcloth or stiff brush

The write up is from WebMD. Good luck and i hope this helps.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 11:41 PM on Mar. 19, 2010