Space requirement per person?

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the square footage requirement is per child when you're hoping to adopt? We're hoping to buy a house in the next couple years, and I'd like to have enough room to be eligible to foster/adopt. All I know is that right now, we couldn't even get considered because our home is too small. Thanks!

Collinsky

Asked by Collinsky at 9:23 PM on Mar. 19, 2010 in Adoption

• Some organizations do not have a requirement. Have you selected a particular agency or are your adopting through the foster system? In Kansas this is the requirements to foster adopt:

Space Requirements
    There must be a minimum of 45 square feet per person in each bedroom, with a minimum of 130 square feet in the master bedroom if an infant is to share a room with the foster parents.

Read more at Suite101: Kansas Foster Care Regulations: How to Become a Foster Parent in the State of Kansas http://becoming-foster-parents.suite101.com/article.cfm/kansas_foster_care_regulations#ixzz0iqZM3aez

I would try calling a few agencies or the foster care system in your state. They may have an informal meeting you can attend to ask questions.
    love2snorkel70

Answer by love2snorkel70 at 5:00 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• it depends on the state that you live in
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 9:35 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I think in most cases, you have to have separate rooms for the boys and girls, and you can have 2 children to a bedroom.

MiddletonFamily

Answer by MiddletonFamily at 9:49 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I suspected that... is there anywhere I can find that info online for my state?
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 9:51 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I know in our state it is 50 sq. ft. You can contact your local DHS office to ask them about your state laws!
    Christian-Mom79

Answer by Christian-Mom79 at 11:47 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• I know in IL its 40 sq ft per kid. Male children and female children need to be in separate rooms. But I don't think there is a limit on how many in each room as long as the sq footage is okay :)
    pjacademy

Answer by pjacademy at 8:51 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• We have a larger house, but we were never asked about square footage for either of our adoptions. For foster care the requirement was that they had their own bed and a dresser or chest for them and some closet space. For the Russian one we are just finishing, the social worker just wanted to see the room they share.

Again maybe because my house is so big it never came up. (We have a 5 bdrm that is almost 3000 sq ft)
    home-sweet-home

Answer by home-sweet-home at 8:51 AM on Mar. 24, 2010