What do you think about starting a paper pantry in a community?

An off the wall topic, but while there are tons of food pantries, what does everyone think about someone creating a paper pantry? One that supplies things that food stamps dont buy, toothpaste, toilet paper, feminine products, etc.

I saw first hand how people appreciated a roll of toilet paper, many told me that they were tearing up newspaper and using that and how some women were rolling up pretty much whatever they could find when that time of the month came around--sad sad sad.

I have a lot of health issues now, but I do have this 'impossible dream' of creating a paper pantry in my community, its one of those things I think would benefit my community but I just dont know how to get it started as I am financially and psysically limited.

Some food pantries do give out occasional toilet paper, and even laundry soap, but not often enough. Toilet paper was the hottest commodity in the building!

thoughts and opinions?

Geishagyrll

Asked by Geishagyrll at 9:33 PM on Mar. 19, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Food stamps dont cover toilet paper??? Thats ridiculous I didnt know that. I would help if my community wanted one. Im not sure how to start one. Maybe you should go to craigslist and put of a listing and see if anyone else would be willing to help.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 9:37 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Our food pantry in our town cover this stuff as well - they are always asking for donations of this type. I guess they are wise to what people really need ;o)

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 9:41 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Yup, .food stamps ONLY cove food, and it cannot even be hot food like the chicken, etc that you can get at the deli. you also cannot buy vitamins, which I think should be allowed at least for kids.

nope, no toilet paper, no feminine pads, tampons, diapers, which I argue are necessities. This is why I saw a lot of people struggle to get this stuff, and some just got creative. I remember a lady had diapered her baby in a small tshirt because she could not buy diapers. I gave her my last $10 because she was crying and just at her wits end--this was about five years ago now. Some pantries get them as just donations but in little supply.

I saw the need first hand because I used to go to many pantries over the years, and gosh it was heartbreaking to see such tragic situations

I hope I can get my health straightened out because id love to take up this cause in a huge way and Im sure I can get local businesses on board with this.
    Geishagyrll

Answer by Geishagyrll at 9:48 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• IMO I think it would be a great idea! You could do this out of your home if you have the space... A girlfriend of mine collects things for foster families and distributes it out of her home... Maybe get in touch with your local food pantry and ask them what you can do to help.. GL , it's an awesome idea, when you find out send me a message, I would like to try it in my community.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:48 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Thanks Mrsleftlane, Ive never seen a paper pantry or heard of one. A church by us used to do something where they handed out a bag of cleaning supplies once a month but that didnt last long....people want toilet paper!!! :-)

I could see incorporating cleaning supplies into a paper pantry. my family was in severe need for years, we know what the need is in the community, again I really want to get my health straightened out, but this is something Im going to pitch to my church as well. sometimes they take up collections of TP or whatever but a true pantry would benefit an entire community!
    Geishagyrll

Answer by Geishagyrll at 9:52 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I think it would be a great idea! I wish there was a way we CM moms could manage to create one, perhaps a "virtual pantry", where requests are made, then items sent out.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 9:58 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Thats a wonderful idea night phoenix...something to consider perhaps. call it Paper Angels
    Geishagyrll

Answer by Geishagyrll at 10:03 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I wouldn't run it out of your residence. Although most people in need are good honest folks there are some who will take advantage of everyone they can or every situation they can. Being the kindhearted person you obviously are you would be a prime target for victimization. It's a grand idea, just not out of anyone's home. Perhaps a church would donate the use of a space they might have available for storage and use?
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 10:24 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Yes, Allergic, Id be skeptical too and we live in a single wide trailer hardly room to run such an operation. Im doing research on this I hope that in time I can gain interest and get this thing off the ground.
    Geishagyrll

Answer by Geishagyrll at 10:26 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• That is a very interesting concept! I truly like the idea of it. I do know that locally the domestic abuse shelters hand out tampons, diapers, etc to women IF they have it. I always try to pick the stuff up if it's a good sale and I have a coupon to donate.

Also, for the cleaning supplies you'd do better to give them a spray bottle, a bottle of vinegar and a list of how to make their own stuff. Less wear on the environment, they learn something valuable and it's a lot less expensive!

Another suggestion would be to contact the churches/stations that Angel Food Ministries uses and see if they'd like to collaborate on the project with you. I would imagine that you could get a grant for something of this nature (check with your local Community Foundation) and there are grant writers that would prob help you for free, if the Foundation themselves can't.
    blogginmomma

Answer by blogginmomma at 10:43 PM on Mar. 19, 2010