Have you ever just popped up?

Have you ever just popped up at your babysitters or preschool? When I used to work (i am a SAHM now) i had to put my DS in daycares. Sometimes I would show up at my babysitters early just to see what they are doing.

Now my DS in a church based preschool (he is 4). I showed up about 30 mins early one day about a month ago just to see what they do and how the teacher handles the children. She did not say anything about me showing up early, but then this week there was a sign on the door saying that the door is now locked during school hours.

Was it wrong for me to just "pop" up?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:52 PM on Mar. 19, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I've done that and in turn took my son out of that daycare. I don't think it's because you just showed up. You can come whenever you like. They can lock the doors all they want but can't keep your kid from you. The daycare he goes to now locks there doors all the time. I have to ring a door bell. I think it's more for safety.
    ArkTech

Answer by ArkTech at 9:55 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• when my son was in daycare, I only put him in ones that allowed unannounced visits.

BUT preschool is different, it's actually a school environment with an actual schedule for learning. You wouldn't be allowed to just pop into kindergarten or 1st grade to check on your kid either.
    Anonymous

• I am a preschool teacher and I have a degree in Early Childhood Education! THEY CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT lock those doors. Period!

As a teacher, sometimes it can be unnerving to have a parent standing watching my every move...but that is just part of the job. I sort of view it as the parent is my "boss" they have "hired" me to watch, take care of, and educate their child...and if they want to peek in, then its their right as the parent of the child and as my "boss"

I would talk with the director!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:19 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Its locked but is it a coded door? I put my son in a daycare that had a locked door because i didnt want strangers to be able to just walk in whenever they wanted...However an un-anounced visit or two also got him removed from his daycare and a complaint filed with my state division of child care! You have every right to drop in...but new safety precautions could be what changed....And if my child was at school...i would be doing the same thing...As a parent i feel it is nec. to be involved in school daycare whatever my child is in! My aunts a teacher at an elementary school and it usually seems that the parents who are involved and pop up, or make phone calls are the ones whose kids strive the best.
    Anonymous

• HUNNY YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO POP UP ANYTIME!!!!!!!!!!! THAT DOOR SHOULD NEVER EVER BE LOCKED DURING SCHOOL HOURS! WE AS PARENTS SHOULD HAVE THE RIGHT TO ACCESS OUR CHILDREN ANYTIME1 IF IT IS A SAFETY CONCERN FOR THE CHILDREN THEY NEED TO GET BABY GATES TO BLOCK THE DOORS OR SAFETY DOORKNOB ON-THE INSIDE! ID FEEL EXTREMELY UNCOMFORTABLE WITH THOSE DOORS BEING LOCKED!
    just1forme

Answer by just1forme at 5:52 PM on Mar. 20, 2010