We are a white couple that has adopted a biracial little girl, she is begining to ask questions about skin color. She is not biologically related and has been told she was adopted. I would like help in helping her to accept her situation as she grows older.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:05 PM on Mar. 19, 2010 in Adoption

• Blatent honesty. Show her you have no prob with it and show her strength in knowing that its ok if she has different skin. If you make signs of indifferance of it being even an issue, she will not have an issue with it either. SHow her pride and love, you didn't see colour when you adopted her, tell her that too. Best wishes!
    IndieJones

Answer by IndieJones at 10:10 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I love the two books:

Forever Fingerprints: An Amazing Discovery for Adopted Children By: Sherrie Eldridge

I Wished for You: an Adoption Story By: Marianne Richmond

But if I were in your situation I would talk a lot about rainbows of people and how God makes all colors and they are all beautiful when they are put together!

I know that is a drop in the bucket..but I couldnt help but add my two cents!

mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:15 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• How about thats how god made you. When she is a bit older you can tell her the nitty gritty about the white mom and (?) dad or whatever. Keep it light. She may not have much of a problem as she gets older. It really depends on where you live and the people who live in that area. If you make it OK(which it is) she will grow up to know it is normal but different.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:28 PM on Mar. 19, 2010