yaz? mirena?

Today the dr diagnosed me with pmdd! I am about to start yaz but he gave me some information about mirena! If you know anything bout these if they work? Side effects?

cortneydmorris

Asked by cortneydmorris at 10:20 PM on Mar. 19, 2010 in Health

• Yaz was just on a recall thing recently..might want to ask about that first!!!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 10:21 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I would never take Yaz. My sister did and has major health problems from it. She never had any health problems before, now she has severe Ulcerative Colitis. Last year she was out of work for six weeks in a row due to the UC. As soon as she stopped taking the Yaz, all of her problems went away. She started taking it again and her symptoms came back. You could not pay me to take Yaz now.

I have the Mirena, and like it fine.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:35 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I'm on YAZ and love it actually. It has really helped with my PMDD
    YAZ is only for women with PMDD though, not just for women who get PMS, yes it warns about side effects, and that there are major risks to women who take it and don't have PMDD. Kind of like my hubby's on meds for bipolar, DUH I don't take them! LOL

Ulcerative colitis is not one of the problems associated with the drug, it's your average BC side effects - clots & strokes
    Anonymous

• "Ulcerative colitis is not one of the problems associated with the drug, it's your average BC side effects - clots & strokes "

Tell that to my sister. There are other cases of Yaz exacerbating UC. Google it.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:51 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I'm on Yaz and it's helped me with MANY of my horrid symptoms of PCOS. I feel much better being on it than I did off of it. I talked to my doc about the concerns and the stuff I was hearing about it, and both my family doc and obgyn say it's perfectly safe if used properly and has the same concerns that ALL horomonal birth control has.
    The only concern for me is that I get dizzy spells now...not sure if that's caused by the Yaz or by having other health issues (stuff with PCOS and whatnot)...'cause it could really be either.
    Meg_the_Mermaid

Answer by Meg_the_Mermaid at 11:29 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I refuse to be on Mirena. It scares me. I have been on Yaz though. I LOVED it. It was the only form of hormonal birth control that didn't make my go absolutely crazy.

As for the recall thing someone mentioned, it is NOT recalled. Some people are just suing over the side effects that happen from ANY form of hormonal birth control.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:37 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• I was on Mirena from the time my son was born (got the mirena in Oct. of 2008) to Nov (?) 2009. I wound up with a pretty bad infection. It works wonders for some people, but I couldn't handle it. My boobies haven't stopped growing since last June, my mood was all over the place, I gained weight, I just wasn't 100% a single day. Then I switched to Yaz and I'm currently waiting on results from a pregnancy lab test so hey, best of luck to ya!
    sweetphoenix529

Answer by sweetphoenix529 at 10:54 PM on Apr. 22, 2010