If you used cloth diapers.....

I saw a post a couple days ago about how they save you money and I looked them up, they do look much easier to use now!! But they seem like they would be hard for working families! How was your schedule affected by cloth diapers and the maintenance!? Is daycare/work an issue when deciding to use these? I really want to put them on my wish list!! But i have to go back to work eventually....Thanks.....

sweetstkissez22

Asked by sweetstkissez22 at 10:20 PM on Mar. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• we didn't do daycare but my parents watched the kids occasionally and they had no issue with changing them or figuring them out. Like previous posters said, it's not much different than disposables, about every other day (pending on the size of your stash) you will wash 1 load. We wash 1 load every 3 days. And we typically wash at night when kids are in bed. So we don't have dirty ones sitting out, and we know that the diapers will most likely be completely done by the time they wake up in the morning. I throw them in the laundry as soon as the kids go to bed. Half an hour later, i put them in the dryer for 1 1/2 hours and then when the kids get up in the morning, i go and get them out. It's really not a big deal. And i do try to fold my diapers, it just makes them easier to grab and go, but it's not a big deal if you don't. You know what pieces you need to make a complete diaper. Let me know if you have more questions. GL
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 10:55 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Join the "Cloth Diapering Mamas" Group.

But it does't matter if you work or not. I use prefolds and flats, but the fancier diapers are just as easy as using disposables except you throw thim in a pail rather than in the garbage. as for the washing unless you have hard water where you have a little trial and error with detergent choice, it's not that time consuming to push a few buttons. And as far as laundry goes, diapers are the easiest folding you'll ever do!
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:24 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• if you do laundry...then it should be no problem at all.

the most time consuming part is folding them - but you don't even have to do that. after a while I just left them in the basket if I didn't have time.

but yep...they save a ton of money, and are really really cute!! I cloth diapered all three of my girls from birth to potty - just about 8years
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 10:28 PM on Mar. 19, 2010

• Well, I work part time. And 2 of the days that I work, DH is home with the kids. He will use the cloth, but I have to make sure they are put away where they belong. If they're clean, and I leave them in a basket to be put away, he'll use disposables. One day, my mom watches them, and she has no problem using the cloth, as long as she knows where the clean ones are (drawer, basket, dryer) and the other day DH's grandmother watches them and usually, we bring the kids to them. As long as I pack the diapers, she uses them. As for washing and maintenance, I have a diaper pail that i put the dirty ones in, and when I notice that I'm down to my last easy AIO with snaps, I just go downstairs and wash a load. I use a free and clear detergent with a scoop of oxy in the wash, I wash on hot, and usually with a double rinse, and even though its a small amount of diapers, I use medium or large water level.

Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:15 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• how do you go about cleaning the really poopy ones?? I wouldn't just throw them in the washer that's gross! they do have ecofriendly diapers now..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Mar. 20, 2010

• the really poopy ones, as you referr to them, that varies. If it is breastfed poop and alot looser, you just throw them in the washer, it's so loose it will just disolve and leave nothing in the washer. Anything more solid you just shake into the toilet first, or we use toiletpaper or flushable wipes to wipe them out on rare occasions. But they also have 2 very handy items, one is a diaper sprayer that you hook up to the water line for you toilet and you spray the poo out of the diaper and into the toilet, and another is flushable liners. You put a flushable liner in the diaper so the liner is technically between your child and the diaper, then when the child poops, you just grab the liner and throw it in the toilet. it's not a big deal.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 12:16 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• and ecofriendly diaper may be better for the enviroment, but i still don't think they're quite as good as cloth, and they are definately not friendly on the wallet.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 12:17 PM on Mar. 20, 2010